+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chain losing tension

Chain losing tension

Hello, I am Prateek from Ashwa Racing (formula student team of R V College of Engineering, Bangalore,India)

We are currently facing issues with excessive chain slack. We have a Suzuki GSXR 600 coupled to a Drexler LSD via a DID 525VX chain.
    Despite tensioning the chain initially by the right amount, the chain seems to be losing tension too quickly and tends to hit the engine. I am curious to know if anyone has previously faced such an issue.
    Any inputs in this regard are highly appreciated.

Check the alignment (offset and twist) of the two sprockets, that could account for higher wear.
    Otherwise, some stretch is normal, have you designed an adjustment mechanism/tensioner?
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

Something is moving and nothing is rigid.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

We are using an eccentric tensioning mechanism

How much stretch is normal?
    DID says 20-25mm slack at the centre is normal for bikes (which typically have a large centre distance between engine sprocket and drive sprocket).But for FSAE, centre distances are much smaller.

I suspect there isn't enough room for the chain to even stretch normally. (i.e even if the chain is slacking/stretching normally it starts touching the engine). This maybe due to the position of the final drive sprocket relative to the engine sprocket.

@Claude

I was not quite able to apply your advice to our situation, everything is rigidly mounted. Could you please elaborate?
    Last edited by carbontub; 01-16-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Determine the allowable stretch per link (commonly documented as for 10 links)

work out the total change in chain length from new to the disposal limit.

Ensure you have enough adjustment range to cover that. If is wearing too fast, alignment is out, either static or under load.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

It's Sprocket Science

One or both sprockets may be incompatible with your chain link length or roller dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Rouelle View Post
    Something is moving and nothing is rigid.
    I hadn't noticed this previously, the metlock(metal locknut) holding the engine sprocket in place became very loose(could be opened by hand) a few runs after was torqued.

But I am still unable to put the facts together. How can loosening of the metlock explain the slack in the chain and what's causing the metlock to loosen in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by NickFavazzo View Post
    Determine the allowable stretch per link (commonly documented as for 10 links)

work out the total change in chain length from new to the disposal limit.

Ensure you have enough adjustment range to cover that. If is wearing too fast, alignment is out, either static or under load.
    There is no stretch in the chain. We compared the chain with the remaining links by placing them side by side.IMG-20180117-WA0001.jpg
    Last edited by carbontub; 01-16-2018 at 06:49 PM.

That's not the best way to measure chain stretch.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast