+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FSAE Australasia 2017

GTS,

... UTS did actually have aero...
    Oops! Yes, UTS has an undertray++. I recall looking at it when it was up on a table with its battery removed (by dropping it through the floor), so its undertray and sidepods, etc., were also off.

A big aero-undertray is definitely the way to go for E-cars. Much to be gained from this route, with potentially very high DF and low drag on offer. UTS achieved its 2nd-place overall in the E-class largely due to its very good "Fuel-Efficiency" result.
    ~o0o~

Also worth mentioning that RMIT's E-car, #E88, the usual winner of the E-class for the past several years here in Oz, was this year perhaps a bit TOO OPTIMISED, at least in terms of battery capacity.

Corrections welcome here, but it seems that this year's Enduro was stretched out from the usual 22 kilometres, to 20 laps x 1.2 kms = a total of 24 kms. And just as #E88 started its final lap its battery cried "Enough!". The car sat there for ~2+ minutes, until the battery was somehow persuaded to put in that last little effort, and it eventually completed Enduro. Most of #88's lap-times were very similar to Monash's E-car #E65, roughly 1:15s to 1:25s, but its last lap of 3.33s cost it a lot.

Ahh yes, for some reason the real-world "Costs", in Cost-Benefit-Analyses, can end up being much higher than the hoped-for "Benefits".

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    GTS,

Oops! Yes, UTS has an undertray++. I recall looking at it when it was up on a table with its battery removed (by dropping it through the floor), so its undertray and sidepods, etc., were also off.

A big aero-undertray is definitely the way to go for E-cars. Much to be gained from this route, with potentially very high DF and low drag on offer. UTS achieved its 2nd-place overall in the E-class largely due to its very good "Fuel-Efficiency" result.
    ~o0o~

Also worth mentioning that RMIT's E-car, #E88, the usual winner of the E-class for the past several years here in Oz, was this year perhaps a bit TOO OPTIMISED, at least in terms of battery capacity.

Corrections welcome here, but it seems that this year's Enduro was stretched out from the usual 22 kilometres, to 20 laps x 1.2 kms = a total of 24 kms. And just as #E88 started its final lap its battery cried "Enough!". The car sat there for ~2+ minutes, until the battery was somehow persuaded to put in that last little effort, and it eventually completed Enduro. Most of #88's lap-times were very similar to Monash's E-car #E65, roughly 1:15s to 1:25s, but its last lap of 3.33s cost it a lot.

Ahh yes, for some reason the real-world "Costs", in Cost-Benefit-Analyses, can end up being much higher than the hoped-for "Benefits".

Z
    Pods were pretty well thought out. Only team in our lane that had a structured look at other cars pre setting off on their own work, which is a positive.

I get that much of the commentary flows the other way though I'd agree with you... an undertray offering significant load is important on these cars. Hard to realise, but important.

Some corrections from inside #E88.

There was no battery capacity issue, we used about 60%. The reason the car stopped was because the inverter tripped. (If the BMS tripped the driver would not have been able to restart)
    I highly suspect this is related to the DC voltage hence why it was good for the first 19 laps. We are working on the dyno and with the inverter manufacturer to figure out exactly what is wrong, but it is likely just a case of badly chosen PI gains causing it to oscillate under certain conditions (voltage and pedal%)

AFAIK the track was 1.1km or so, working out very close to 22km. Considering the fastest times of 1:12 down from 1:16 last year I doubt it got much longer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3