+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Car

Well...combination of our recent discussions about twin chassis as well as the "fantasy engine" thread going on...I say why limit ourselves to the engine? what about the whole dang car!

do you do carbon monocoque or spaceframe, possibly a hybrid of both?

Carbon a-arms with titanium inserts?

Custom Machined magnesium wheels.

I mean....be a little realistic here...but what would could we do if all the teams kinda...lumped into one and put something together?

would it be UW's tub with SDSM&T's unsprung aero that includes monash's new DRS followed by an aprillia that never breaks?! (we all know that last one will never happen). Add in some mad launch control (can't remember if that was KU or not) and the ability to use torque vectoring in a diff......

what say you.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

I'm not buying into any fantasy car that doesn't include the Western Washington v8.

Kev

I'm not buying into any fantasy car over 270lbs dry weight.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Well...something much much faster compared to other cars will do it for me. Most probable electric and with tons of DF, would love to see how a 3G skidpad would look like. Add some awesome look (Hawks car looked amazing last year btw), and some unconventional thinking to achieve the above (and the WTF look in the faces of everybody), and go out ond dominate.

If you put monash's big wings on delfts light, powerful, AWD car you could drive upside down at a pretty low speed, I think that's all the fantasy you need...
    2013-?? Curious alumni
    Monash Motorsport

I think Steven has a point

Carbon Monocoque
    Carbon Rims (10 inch)
    Carbon A-Arms

4 * 35kW

About 6-7kWh of energy

Pretty nice big wings

Around 170kg, should be able to pull 2.5g and drive Accel in 3.5s...

It's not the sound of a V8 and not ultra-lightweight but that thing would fly!

Mine would be the controversial UWAM concept but with the much discussed custom twin air cooled boxer, 2 or 3 gears and electro hydraulically controlled Salisbury diff (torque vectoring) all in one pacakge - small engine allows for more space for the aero tray to utilise at the rear, would have to look at packaging height of the engine to achieve this?

Sooner probably built my dream car (well, my dream at the time of doing FS myself) with their active wings, spaceframe, super lightweight.can anyone tell me why active wings disappeared a year later?
    Electronics Warwick Racing 11' Alumni

Originally posted by StevenWebb:
    If you put monash's big wings on delfts light, powerful, AWD car you could drive upside down at a pretty low speed, I think that's all the fantasy you need...
    No you couldn't Steve!

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

JWard,

I am also interested in the possible/probable intrusion of the flat twin concept with rear aero. This was the biggest reason why flat engines didn't survive in racing and I would be curious if the same held true in FSAE thus debunking the layout in this series as well. Eyeballing various competitive cars it looks like there is room for one but unless someone took the time to overlay it in CAD it will remain an open discussion point. I have a parasolid file people can throw in and critique if so interested.

Engine Notes:

On a layout note about your desire for "2 or 3 gears". The model I spoke about had pushrods and vertical ports but if rotated 90 degrees would have longitudinal ports. You then could hook into a BMW motorcycle dry clutch, a traditional main shaft/lay shaft with a couple gears and then a BMW ring and pinion on a Drexler. OHC engines would revert back to vertical ports unless you adopted a bunch of rigmarole in the heads. Pushrods are great for compact heads that will intrude much less (approx 2 inches less per head/side) into aero areas as well as cheaper and lighter. After the experience I had with the B&S v twin you would be surprised how light.

Originally posted by mech5496:
    Well...something much much faster compared to other cars will do it for me. Most probable electric and with tons of DF, would love to see how a 3G skidpad would look like. Add some awesome look (Hawks car looked amazing last year btw), and some unconventional thinking to achieve the above (and the WTF look in the faces of everybody), and go out ond dominate.
    I always thought of going electric but I never really have done enough digging to figure out how much more they weigh having batteries and such.....or less for that matter.

I'm thinking that the sooner active aero disappeared because the gains outweighed the costs. I saw their rear wing go poof last year....and I'm not quite sure why....but I remember that the reasoning behind it was to "give more even tire wear during enduro"....which....i guess I've never seen a properly set up car get worn down to the treads anyway from just one enduro run so.....

Also the benefits to running 35kw would be regen on braking....could torque vector into and out of corners.

another thing...I've never really looked into it but does FSAE allow anything like an f-duct or blown exhaust??? Not entirely sure if the speeds we're at would provide any benefit even if we could....but it would be kind of interesting to find out.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast