+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our chassis can just run in FSUK/FSS/FSAE Italy?

Angry Our chassis can just run in FSUK/FSS/FSAE Italy?

Hello!
    My name André Rangel, and I´m the chief engineer at ISEL Formula Student, in Lisbon.
    We have been in class 2 at FSUK this summer and designed our chassis in accordance with FSAE rules.
    Now, we are in the building phase and of course going to Germany/Austria would be a possibility we would like to keep in open.
    Unfortunately it looks like our chassis can´t run in Germany, due to the rules conflict!
    Bellow you may find FSAE rules related to the side impact structure:

22093404_806040249576512_981305886_n.jpg

And here is the german version:

22119192_806040232909847_1997830234_n.jpg

and now... ours (orange is Germany, yellow FSAE):

22052989_1462064947204044_1275435244_n.jpg

We can´t change our chassis to be compatible with both rule books since it would mean a change in the suspension points...
    Other option would be lowering the main hoop ... but not in our case, since it would almost touch the floor to be rule compliant!

What kind of advice do you have for us?
    Thank you;
    best regards from Portugal

Catch 22

1) Build 2 cars.

2) Build 1 car and enter only in the venue its 'legal' for.

3) Build 1 car enter into both, beg forgiveness from any judge that spots it.

4) Ask in writing to be excused from the frame requirement because you are legal in another.

5) In your best judgement, which design is more safe that the other in a real world side impact? Build a mockup of both siderail systems and impact it with a pendulum to make your decision. Then Build THAT car.

This is a common problem in production engineering: conflicting requirements, from emissions, to safety to horn loudness, to headlight operations.etc. Welcome to the global world. I'd go with 2 cars. That way you can compete early on with each other and determine which event you have a good chance of winning.

The way I read it, there is no conflict of rules, but 2 ways which can discribe the same result. Just keep the top member near horizontal, and within 350 and 300mm from the ground and everything should sort itself out. (But this tube now has to be 35mm if it has a bend, new rule).

The 35mm tube now has a narrow window where it can be placed, so take care.

As a rough guide, you will have about 45mm clearance between the ground and under your lower tube.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Thanks Bill!
    I think we will try option 4 then...
    Unfortunately we would never be able to pay for 2 electric cars, unless we started selling our fellow team members kidneys´... either way we still don't have enough members for that
    Regarding 5) I would say it depends on the impact location; there are many variables and we don´t plan to go that way

+ Reply to Thread