+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2017 Formula Student UK

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clarke View Post
    ...but the top end of the UK cars was still very high!
    None of the three teams that always quibble over who is the 'Best UK Team' managed to finish endurance.
    None of the eventual top 3 were in the top 30 last year. We shouldn't judge the teams from this year by their predecessor's performance, but that's still a remarkable statistic.
    More telling: on a comparable track, the fastest UK teams drove pretty comparable autocross times to what they did last year... when the fastest UK team came 20th, being a bit over 6 seconds slower than the fastest non-UK team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clarke View Post
    I don't believe the UK people ever said they 'didn't care' about the high quality visitors
    Maybe not, but actions speak louder, and the organizers have proven uniquely unresponsive to feedback over the years.

That being said, I wish them all the best, I always enjoyed coming to Silverstone.
    Alumnus
    Formula Student Team Delft

2007 - 2008: Powertrain, Suspension
    2009: Technical Lead
    2010 - present: Grumpy Old Fart/Concerned Citizen

Honestly, I didn't even know that FStudent UK was happening....
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

I fully agree with Thijs here. UK was always part of my FS experience and although it was painful to drive to Silverstone, I would not miss the experiences we made there.
    The 3 "UK Top Teams" were rather disappointing although Bath probably would have taken the pot if they would have taken the Pot if they would have finished Endurance. Not by a big margin though.

I think Birmingham and Cardiff amazingly used the chance to be part of FS history and I applaud this.

Trent,
    I think your problem is that you follow only the "well-known" European teams on Facebook, Twitter and Co and all of them did not show up at Silverstone
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Untitled.jpg

Z

This one from Cairo University - which is nice try and i think they could do it better. they participated in FSAE Italy but unfortunately didn't score at the design event because the team almost didn't attend the event.
    The car performance was very good but they failed the brakes test so the beam didn't show in the dynamics.

FSUK was interesting to say the least. Big players boycotting, different ruleset and mixed classes already make it different than most FS events, which IMO is a bad thing. If this continues to grow, the question will be "attend FSUK or all the other EU FS comps" due to the massive differences also in scoring.

Indicative of the weirdness of the competition was the fact that my team came 10th overall while missing all dynamic events except endurance. Mixed class (EV & ICs) meant that we also got 30pts more than the 2nd one in efficiency, a benefit hard to have in an EV-only event.

PS: Very interesting that Lund car, will have the chance for an up-close inspection in FSG. DASD; we have those too, and they are (a small) part on how we made it to the cost finals with an electric car in a mixed class competition :P
    Last edited by mech5496; 07-24-2017 at 05:21 PM.

3) 13 teams finished all dynamic events... 13(!)
    The scores are very low compared to other competitions even compared to the same competition in the previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Rezq View Post
    The scores are very low compared to other competitions even compared to the same competition in the previous years.
    That is just due to the fact that there was no Top Team at the competition.
    Top Teams score high in every competition. For example at FS Spain Electric last year, Karlsruhe came in 4th at 865points. Just due to the fact that Delft, Zurich and Stuttgart were also high scoring (919-911-883) throughout every discipline.

It shows a lack of competitiveness of the event if you can "get away" with low scorings in some disciplines and end up high.
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

I can't wait to read your reaction to the FSUK autonomous plans once they officially surface.

Meanwhile, here's a DASD, it consists of a Cane-creek double barrel, a threaded piece of aluminium, a carbon tube, another piece of aluminium, some hysol adhesive, some shims, a third piece of aluminium, a spherical bearing, two bolts two nuts and some washers.
    And here's Hertfordshires take on the idea too!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Fyhr; 07-28-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add stuff
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Rezq View Post

Z

This one from Cairo University - ... i think they could do it better...
    Ahmad,

I think the overall direction is good.

If you can get them to listen to some advice (always hard!), then I suggest you ask them NOT to think about what brilliant new stuff they can add next year, but rather to find things on this car that they can DELETE.

The radiator/water-cooling system is a good place to start, given that plenty of good air-cooled engines out there.

And whatever (fewer) parts remain should then be made more "compact", because this is the route to stiffer, stronger, lighter, cheaper, ... FASTER!

Then earlier build finish, so more testing, so no failure in Brake-Test.
    ~~~o0o~~~

Pontus,

I have had difficulty checking the results. It seems that Lund did not finish Enduro? What happened?

Oh, and despite the "impossibility" of DASDs that many experts were claiming a few years ago, it seems that quite a few teams are now figuring out how to fit that short extension to the damper-rod.

Z
    Last edited by Z; 07-28-2017 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post

Pontus,

I have had difficulty checking the results. It seems that Lund did not finish Enduro? What happened?
    We ran into overtemperature protection on the battery management system (yes for 12 V) on lap 19. Sad, but preferable to a fire.
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2