+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine supporting

engine supporting

I'd like to ask if these red members in image (1) is good enough to support the engine well .all these red members have 20 cm length So are these member will be good and save ??
    EN.jpg
    and are these red members must weld in node like pic ? is permissible to weld these red members alongside the node not in the node ?
    if these red member need support members ...Are these green support members good and right when i weld it ; i weld it alongside the node not in node like image (2) is this permissible??
    EN3.jpg

You may consider putting all these type posts and questions into a single thread. We would love to track your progress and finally see photos of this.

Your question here does not relate to rules, so you are free to add members as you like.

"Is it good enough?" is the eternal question. Um, looks fine to me. There are a few ways to look at this.
    If you know the maximum torque of your motor, you can use this and basic statics to find the bending moment or stress in each member.
    Also note that tyre traction may be limiting torque.
    I have found that when using a single cyl. motor and cheap mild steel chassis, vibrations cause our chassis to crack very early.
    With a 4cyl and higher grade 4130 chassis, we had no problems.

So: Calculations... or make it and test. Your choice.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Jonny Rochester

can you tell me the equation i can use to calculate the stress on the member using the maximum torque and the engine weight

I'm not going to give an exhaustive method to do all that, that is your job, as you are probably studying statics at university yourself?

Maximum torque: Weight on rear tyres [130kg] x controversial coefficient of friction number [1.3] x radius of wheels x grear ratio of combined sprockets = maximum torque you engine (small sprocket) can see.

Assume one pair of your engine mounts is a pinned connection... find reaction force at other mounts...

It's a very basic start, and you will need the cross-sectional area of your tube to find I...

Also consider engine self weight, at 2G.

The final thing that actually kills your chassis maybe vibration.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

+ Reply to Thread