+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main Hoop Bracing Proper Triangulation

Main Hoop Bracing Proper Triangulation

Hi,
    My name is Panayiotis Pavlou and I am the Team Leader and Chassis Designer of FUF Team. We are from Cyprus and we are a new entry team. We will participate for the first time in a competition this summer and more specifically at the competition of Formula SAE Italy & Formula Electric Italy 2017.
    We are one step before manufacturing the chassis and we have a problem with the Main Hoop Bracing Triangulation and the Rule T3.13.7.

The Rule says:
    T3.13.7:

The lower end of the Main Hoop Braces must be supported back to the Main Hoop by a minimum of two Frame Members on each side of the vehicle; an upper member and a lower member in a properly triangulated configuration.
    a. The upper support member must attach to the node where the upper Side Impact Member attaches to the Main Hoop.
    b. The lower support member must attach to the node where the lower Side Impact Member attaches to the Main Hoop.''

Due to our Suspension and Drivetrain design there is problem with the triangulation as shown in Figure1. Therefore we conclude to 2 ideas. As shown in Figure2 and Figure3.
    We want to know if those ideas will work for the above regulation. We prefer to use the idea from Figure3.

FIgure1.JPGFigure2.JPGFigure3.JPG

Your Reply will be very appreciate.

Best Regards,
    Panayiotis Pavlou
    Team Leader & Chassis Designer
    FUF Team
    fufracingteam@frederick.ac.cy

Hello Panagiwtis

I can think what your design of your rear suspension/drivetrain might be. Personally, i hate the idea of the main hoop bracing being attached to the rearmost part of the chassis.
    The empty space is too much over there,and it can not support loads transferred throughout the chassis (especially in rollover situations) . IMO i would go for design iteration No2. or No1 as it seems it be passsing
    triangulation rules.

Kind Regards
    Stefanos Stamoulis,TEIWM Racing

Panayiotis,

All of your examples are rules compliant.

Pat Clarke
    The trick is... There is no trick

Stefanos thank you for replying back. We will consider your advice and at chassis simulations we are going to try also main hoop bracing not at the rearmost member.

Mr.Pat Clark thank you for replying to our question. Your advice is very helpfull!

Best Regards,
    Panayiotis Pavlou
    Team Leader & Chassis Designer
    FUF Team
    fufracingteam@frederick.ac.cy

+ Reply to Thread