+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rear axle shafts material

rear axle shafts material

hi,
    I'm from BGRacing, a team from Israel. in the last 4 years we used titanium for the rear axle shafts.
    This year we're thinking on changing the material because of availability and budget issues.
    I wanted to know which materials are recommended? and which you have experience with?

thanks

Titanium-interesting. Why did you use that?

Typical axle materials are 300M or 4340.
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

firstboaz

Over the last 18 years we have made our axles out of 4340 , And have switched in the last 4 years years to 4130 with an HRC 42-47

Scotty
    Taylor Race Engineering
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

Why dont you use carbon half shafts????????????????????

Depends; no single right answer here as well. We have played with 4130, CK60, Aluminum and CF over the years. What are the performance indicators you are interested in? Weight, inertia, stiffness, cost, recyclability, bling factor?

The shaft

Whatever you do, make the left and right side drive shafts different torsional stiffness, especially if your LSD is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by StefStam View Post
    Why dont you use carbon half shafts????????????????????
    Do you? That would personally cause me too much concern to consider such a high risk, low pay off option...

Quote Originally Posted by BillCobb View Post
    Whatever you do, make the left and right side drive shafts different torsional stiffness, especially if your LSD is tight.
    Really, I'd just prefer a spool and call it a day...
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by MCoach View Post
    Do you? That would personally cause me too much concern to consider such a high risk, low pay off option...
    Well,if you do the right calculations and select the proper fiber orientation,why not

Quote Originally Posted by StefStam View Post
    Well,if you do the right calculations and select the proper fiber orientation,why not
    How do you design the force transmission between the CF material and the connectors to the engine/wheel hub?

Probably the more interesting question over the ply layup... I don't see why CF should be the clear & obvious "best choice".

Quote Originally Posted by FrederikWe View Post
    How do you design the force transmission between the CF material and the connectors to the engine/wheel hub?

Probably the more interesting question over the ply layup... I don't see why CF should be the clear & obvious "best choice".
    Thats the tricky part. I guess doing proper connection between CF and any steel/aluminium parts between those will probably eliminate those problems
    Well i guess the transmission guys here calculated that each halfshaft must cope with 1270 Nm torque.... Textreme Carbon Fiber with 0/+45/-45/0 will be the proper orientation...even the company
    recommends that lay up for torsional applications....... ex. halfshafts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast