+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2017 FSUK Competiton & FS East Entry List

FS East has become a great event as of what i have heard. Too bad its in the same week with Formula Student Italy and we cant participate both althoguh getting an invitation from FS East due to being first year team

Stefanos Stamoulis

According to this
    http://www.imeche.org/news/news-arti...a-student-2017

No German teams at FSUK this year. Not sure why they haven't a full list of teams though

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmonkey View Post
    According to this
    http://www.imeche.org/news/news-arti...a-student-2017

No German teams at FSUK this year. Not sure why they haven't a full list of teams though
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunk Mckay View Post
    I wouldn't be half surprised if most of the people there are blissfully ignorant of our plight, floating around in a silent bubble all of their own. I'd like to at least try to burst that bubble.
    I'm not sure if it's ignorance, or if they just don't care.
    There is a third option somewhere in the middle: They're aware of teams being unhappy with the course of the competition.
    However, they don't act on that knowledge, partly out of conservatism and arrogance (sorry), and partly because their goals do not necessarily align with those of, shall we say, 'German' teams:
    To the extent that they do care (and I'm sure plenty of them do), their concern may be more aimed towards providing as many British students as possible with a useful extracurricular activity, as opposed to making sure that the overall level is as high as it can be, or taking care that some European team beats the home teams for the 17th year running by exactly the right margin.

Either way, I think they got the message by now.
    Not sure if they intend to do anything with it though.

And yes, I too fully expect an elated tone in the press release if one of the Brits takes it overall, while ignoring that it will have been the least competitive edition of FSUK since 2004 or thereabouts.

Anyway, may the Best British Team win
    Last edited by Thijs; 01-30-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: minor spelling stuff
    Alumnus
    Formula Student Team Delft

2007 - 2008: Powertrain, Suspension
    2009: Technical Lead
    2010 - present: Grumpy Old Fart/Concerned Citizen

We must not underestimate the other competitors. Looking forward to blistering times from the FS powerhouses that is Ecuador, 'Saudi Arablia' etc.
    Also, it looks like my old team will drag down something from Norway.

Just saw the lists of the registered teams... to be frank: This is insane.

The whole "German-Cluster" (Germany, Swiss, Austria, Netherlands (minus The Hague as a rather new team)) and the US that dominated all events in the last years is completely "boycotting".

Wow.

Last year, UK had a competition factor of 0,98. This year it will probably be close to the minimum factor...
    Minus the UK teams, I have not found any Top 20 ish team from 2016 that competes.
    It's basically UK + "FSAE Developing Countries" + some minor outliers (ETS, Norway/Sweden/Spain guys)". Slap in the face for the IMechE... let's see if they realize this or still just celebrate the first UK winner ever.

http://www.imeche.org/docs/default-s...1.pdf?sfvrsn=2
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Class1 has 94 teams participating
    According to my calculations, the current competitiveness of the competition is 0.853
    14 Teams were not listed in the world ranking list
    Last edited by simdens; 02-02-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Initially wrong competitiveness calculation

Quote Originally Posted by simdens View Post
    Class1 has 94 teams participating
    According to my calculations, the current competitiveness of the competition is 0.853
    14 Teams were not listed in the world ranking list
    And 54 of the teams comes from the United Kingdom.
    Johan Sahlström

Lund University 2010-2015

Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    And 54 of the teams comes from the United Kingdom.
    Thats ~57% 'home' country schools.

FSAE Michigan is ~76% 'home' country schools for reference, but the country is a fair bit more out of the way than the UK.

FSG this year is ~48% 'home' country schools.

I didn't any schools that might actually consider an event their home event if they weren't from the actual country itself. In every case the 'home' country participation is just going to go up (ie Canada to FSAE Michigan or Netherlands to FSG?)
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

Yup, it's pretty brutal, although I guess we sort of saw it coming.

Regarding 'home teams':
    FSG-E is pretty German, which isn't surprising. FSE has found more footing in Germany than in most places (60% of the WRL-E top 20 is German)
    (even more extreme for FSD: there are only 6 non-German teams in the world right now)
    The current FSG-C registration list however is only 34% German.

A far greater difference with FSUK: For both FSE and FSC, the waiting lists are currently longer than the list with registered teams. FSUK has no waiting list (for Class 1 anyway)

some more random observations:
    1. I was kind of surprised by the relative enthusiasm from Nordic teams, compared to their neighbors directly to the south: Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland bring a total of 8 teams.
    2. Holy crap there's a lot of Egyptian cars. 6 Class 1 teams alone, and an additional 11 on the Class 2 lists!
    3. ETS has dropped quite a bit on the WRL last year due to 0 endurance finishes. However, if they do finish endurances, they can fight for top 5 at many competitions. They're pretty far down FSG's waiting list. I wonder how eager they'll be to come all the way to Europe for one event with a ~0.85 competitiveness rating.
    Last edited by Thijs; 02-02-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Alumnus
    Formula Student Team Delft

2007 - 2008: Powertrain, Suspension
    2009: Technical Lead
    2010 - present: Grumpy Old Fart/Concerned Citizen

Harry (Bikas),

I see UoP is going.

WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY!!!

A bit like a runner going to the Olympic Games when it is boycotted by the Kenyans, Ethiopians, Jamaicans, US, China, Russia, Germany...

It'll never be easier to win some gold!

Z

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast