+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hub Retailers or Custom hubs

Hub Retailers or Custom hubs

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do about our hubs. We are looking to run Aluminum OZ wheels, which have a 4x9.93" bolt pattern for 0.5" studs. What the team has run in the past, and essentially the only hubs we have, are a set (front and rear) of RCV hubs. I recently noticed that there is a lot of play in the bolt interface between the hub and the wheel and this is because the hub has a 3/8" stud. I would think that this is really bad structurally, and simply poor design to assemble these two parts together (correct me if I'm wrong please).

So we started looking for new hubs, but there aren't many hub manufacturers/retailers that I can find out there, and there aren't many OEM parts that fit these wheels with the shaft input we need. So I was wondering if most teams custom design their hubs, or if anyone has some advice on good manufacturers/retailers for hubs out there.

I would appreciate any help we can get.

Thanks!

Most teams do design their own hubs since it affords a lot of freedom in packaging, wheel selection, etc. as well as often results in a lower mass assembly than anything off-the-shelf.

If you are happy with the setup you have currently, you could always turn round 1/2" adapters to fit over your 3/8" studs to allow positive wheel fitment. Not having some kind of positive locating mechanism is very design (assuming here that there is no hub centering ring or pins for wheel alignment).
    Last edited by jd74914; 01-16-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

There are many ready-to-use systems: http://www.skf.com/us/products/vehic...its/index.html

The one used in Lotus Elise S2 should be one of the lightest, about 100 £ each, should be close enough to your stud pattern if i understand it correctly. Though none are light by FSAE standards as JD alluded to, most make their own.
    Deep groove ball bearings are lighter than angular contact, and deployed correctly fully sufficient for a full season of testing and competitions.
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

+ Reply to Thread