+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fire incident at the FSAE Brazil 2016 Endurance event.

Fire incident at the FSAE Brazil 2016 Endurance event.

Where are the fire extinguishers???
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

Quote Originally Posted by bob.paasch View Post
    Where are the fire extinguishers???
    That's pretty much the question which I'm also wondering about. Brazil is an event which is part of the official SAE series. The SAE should really think about reviewing the events which they let carry their name...
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

A guy with a fire extinguisher came a few seconds after the video ends. Could have been late, in my opinion, every race worker should have an extinguisher ready to be used.

From experience i can tell you that there's a big difference in reaction from drivers between someone running towards you waving their hands to stop, and someone running towards you brandishing a fire extinguisher. never have i seen a racecar driver move faster then when the latter occurs.
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk Mckay View Post
    From experience i can tell you that there's a big difference in reaction from drivers between someone running towards you waving their hands to stop, and someone running towards you brandishing a fire extinguisher. never have i seen a racecar driver move faster then when the latter occurs.
    Yeah, the driver said he didn´t see any fire or feel any heat. He had no idea the car was like that.

The Heat is on

Looks like the only way they were going to get any heat in those tires.

And red flags???
    More than anything though... this should have been covered during drivers meeting.
    "If you see marshals running towards you, GET OUT AND RUN!!!!"
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

Lucky

They're lucky that was a slow-burning oil or coolant fire.

With that response a gasoline fire would've had enough time to set the whole tank off.

It'll take a little while to justify bladder tanks (adds a few hundred $ to every car), but the series is such a success that preventing the end-of-FSAE event from happening is worthwhile.
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

I've posted about this several times in various safety threads through the years on this site. WHY THE HELL ARE ONBOARD FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS NOT MANDATORY ON THESE TINDER BOXES???? There's so much focus on "safety" in FSAE. Crash structures, anti-intrusion rules, reducing aero for corner worker safety, etc... But ultimately the main danger to FSAE drivers and teams time and time and time again is fire. Fuel tanks right by headers. Oil lines right by headers. Fuel lines right by headers. I'm sorry FSAE but there is no excuse for this crap, especially after you look at what a lot of teams bring for driver equipment. Develop something with the industry if size and cost are the issue then mandate teams to use them going forward, but oh wait there's already 2.5lb bottles for sale for sprint cars http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fire-B...Lbs-,1010.html. I'm normally a pretty easy going person but this issue really pisses me off, especially anytime safety is used as a justification for misguided rule changes (rear wing size because it could fall off). Either be serious about safety and fix a glaring hole in the safety rules or stop pretending like safety is really an important aspect of FSAE. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast