+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Electronic-Shifter System

Purchasing Electronic-Shifter System

Hello. I am from Egypt and my team is Cairo University Racing Team.

We are using KTM 450 EXC 2012 and its stock gearbox.

This year we want to build an electronic-shifter system, we need to buy a linear solenoid actuator.

Can anyone recommend a certain shop or online website to buy the system from (using international shipping)?

Thanks in advance.

Well you could try Google.

Better yet: until you can specify exactly how many points an electric shifter system will net you, use a mechanical linkage.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lawrence View Post
    Well you could try Google.

Better yet: until you can specify exactly how many points an electric shifter system will net you, use a mechanical linkage.
    Well that's certainly not helpful, and there are definitely advantages to a paddle shift system, especially since you don't need to remove your hand from the wheel to shift. We've investigated an electronic actuator before, but a combination of weight, speed, and current draw makes the electropneumatic system superior, at least in our situation. So you may consider going pneumatic instead.

The point of my post was to get him to think about it.

So, how many points do you gain by not having to take your hand off the wheel?
    Without knowing that, why would a good engineer want to add complication, having no idea of the actual benefits?
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Quote Originally Posted by redw123 View Post
    ...there are definitely advantages to a paddle shift system,...
    redw123,

Further to what Jay has said, ... what about the DISADVANTAGES!

Have you thought about these? Tried to quantify them? At least roughly?

Or, to put it another way, how quickly do you plan to send your next employer broke?
    ~~~o0o~~~

Q. Why is "RoI" such a difficult concept for students?

A. Perhaps because they have never had to make that "I" out of their own pockets?

~~~o0o~~~

Mohamed Aziz,

Look up Auckland's performance at the FSAE-Australasia-2015 comp (look in Competitions section, page 11+ of that thread).

Just before Endurance at that comp, Auckland were in a very good position to WIN THE COMPETITION OUTRIGHT.

They had a "linear solenoid actuator" for gear-shifting.

It broke.

In the end, they came fourth overall.

No one ever remembers who came second, let alone fourth (it is not even "podium")!

Ahh, what might have been...

Z

Q. Why is "RoI" such a difficult concept for students?

A. Perhaps because they have never had to make that "I" out of their own pockets?

This. Exactly this.

Why not a mechanical linkage? This will still keep both of your hands on the steering wheel, without the complexity.
    Attached Images
    Johan Sahlström

Lund University 2010-2015

First of all I would like to thank everybody for their replies and valuable advises.

Z

I think we are having the same thoughts. We are now in the phase of discussing the alternatives, considering the possibilities and gathering all the data information we could get. What we are really hoping for is to develop an electrical system or even an electro-pneumatical system as redw123 advised aside of the normal mechanical shifter to be implemented, fully tested and proven to be functional in order to be used in the upcoming years. We shouldn't be considered as an arising team for so long, should we?

We really appreciate mentioning the RoI concept and we are already having the design goal of a low cost but a reliable Car, but as I mentioned above we are trying to do more of -if I can say- "future planing for RoI" to keep this team developing and going for better and better positions.
    Last edited by Mohamed Aziz; 12-02-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    Mohamed Aziz
    Engine Team Head
    Cairo University Racing Team 2014-2016

Fast forward to the 2:00 mark of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLCjv1mmggc&t=237s.

Watch the shifting. How much time will you gain per shift against a properly operating mechanical shifter? I don't even have an ignition cutoff on this to allow even faster upshifts.
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

^

From memory, I was able to get 150-200ms shifts with a simple linkage and a lift and shift approach, compared to about 80-90ms for an electro-pneumatic system. The mechanical system never failed, while the other one was not perfectly reliable, cost more, and required CO2 charging.

Mohamed, beware of doing things just for the illusion of progress. If you want a low cost and reliable car, then every single decision must trace back to that.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast