+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New FSG/FSE 2017 aero rules

New FSG/FSE 2017 aero rules

As you may know, FSG is releasing every year some "FSG-specific" rules, that are often also used by some other European competitions (Austria and Czech on top of my head). These rules are usually close to the official FSAE rules, with relatively minor adjustments. However, that is not the case with 2017 rules, as the aero section is totally different.

https://www.formulastudent.de/filead...s2017_V1.0.pdf

This has already triggered some discussions on facebook, but I would love reading something more structured than scattered comments.

Harry,

I included some comments on the new FSG aero rules here.

http://www.fsae.com/forums/showthrea...l=1#post126700

Z

i saw also a new change in the chassis rules.

The upper member must connect the main hoop and the front hoop. It must be at a
    height between 270 mm and 320 mm above the lowest inside chassis point between
    the front and main hoop.

I guess many teams might face this problem cause some might have designed the side member by taking the 300-350mm limit

Really long rear wings, really wide front wings.
    So you've got huge yaw mass hanging out the back, and a big cone plough at the front. Interesting areas for compromise.
    I'm expecting rear wings to be on the limit, but front wings probably won't go much wider than they currently do. Depends how good your drivers are at missing cones.

An interesting one is the max front wing height limit. Essentially encouraging teams to increase the height of the lower member of the front bulkhead. Either for increased AoA, or multi-storey wings.
    The only real limitation you can't get round is the interpretation of "adequate visibility to the front."
    Lets assume you sit you driver fairly upright. You're going to end up with a wing that's 600mm off the ground, meaning the bottom of your bulkhead is 300mm off the ground. This would be very bad news for the chap who's car you smash into from the side. Especially considering he only has side impact structure up to 300mm off the ground.

So I would suggest someone look into this one.
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Not a fan of rulebook divergence. I don't think student teams should not have to worry about homologating their vehicle for every competition's unique rules. Rules committee should get it together here.
    Formula SAE: When you just can't get rid of a girlfriend.

I'm not a fan either Pennyman. But after years of the standard rule book never improving, someone had to do something.

FSG have thrown down the gauntlet, other EU events have followed suit. It's now up to the FSAE rules committee to respond. We may still end up with separate rule books, but they will most likely be better all around.
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

This is start being a joke. Not the actual rules content, but having teams redesigning furiously for 2 weeks only to change everything again. I appreciate the effort of "normalising" not to penalize overseas teams, or not to force teams building two aero packs for one season, but this whole confusion...
    Last edited by mech5496; 11-09-2016 at 06:55 PM.

I have no horse in this race, just enjoy picking rules apart to understand them.

However, it's still better than the Clean Snowmobile Rules every year. You guys should check that trainwreck out.
    The competition is in March every year. Usually we want and lobby for the rules to be released at least by at least June. Usually they are released about October.
    Guys, it could be worse.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

+ Reply to Thread