+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New engine capacity regulation

  1. #1

    New engine capacity regulation

    Hello,i am Stefanos Stamoulis, lead designer of TEI WM Racing Team from Greece. As we all know,the 2017-2018 FSAE Rules increased the engine capacity restriction from 610 cc to 710 cc. What are your thoughts about that rule??? In my humble opinion
    this have allowed teams to choose a wide range of motorcycle engines. Also this seems to be a good chance for single cylinder engines to rise up in the FSAE competition, like the Yamaha XTX 690 (which is common here) and KTM 660 engines. Those are
    beasts looking at the torque they produce.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    352
    I think it's a good move and I'm looking forward to seeing the new developments. That being said, the committee could simply have removed the capacity limit altogether. The restrictor makes larger capacities pretty redundant anyway, along with the extra mass of bigger engines. As has been discussed many times in these forums, there's great scope to reduce the rule book, and this could have been a big step in the right direction.
    Jay

    UoW FSAE '07-'09

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    164
    Great in theory Jay..... Until some lunatic with a blown, over bored Hyabusa decides to give it a burl without the restrictor :-)

    Pat
    The trick is... There is no trick

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clarke View Post
    Great in theory Jay..... Until some lunatic with a blown, over bored Hyabusa decides to give it a burl without the restrictor :-)

    Pat
    How is this any different to a 600cc sport bike engine running the stock airbox? I think your key word is "lunatic" and whether it's 600cc or 1200cc they are going to do it anyway.
    UQ Racing

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    How is this any different to a 600cc sport bike engine running the stock airbox? I think your key word is "lunatic" and whether it's 600cc or 1200cc they are going to do it anyway.
    I don't think engines that dominate the top 5 at each competition will change greatly, but it gives a more diverse selection and therefore lower barrier to entry by being able to consider some more locally available motors.
    There isn't a large weight difference between some of the 600+ cc motors (or those able to be stroked/bored to get there) and the ubiquitous 450 singles. Might be some surprises on the horizon.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

    Boogityland 2015 - Present

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Linköping, Sweden
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by MCoach View Post
    I don't think engines that dominate the top 5 at each competition will change greatly, but it gives a more diverse selection and therefore lower barrier to entry by being able to consider some more locally available motors.
    There isn't a large weight difference between some of the 600+ cc motors (or those able to be stroked/bored to get there) and the ubiquitous 450 singles. Might be some surprises on the horizon.
    Also, there's at least one aircooled twin that fits into the new regulations. If I was still in a team I would have looked into that engine, now I'm just hoping for some Italophile (is it called that? Like anglophile but for Italian things) to think about Monsters ...
    __________________
    Fredrik Henriksson
    PhD Student at Linköping University

    ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

    Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bolton, CT
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Also, there's at least one aircooled twin that fits into the new regulations.
    What is it? (Not very well versed on different bike motors here...)

    One the surface the Raptor 660 seems like it could be a neat engine to try out. It seems to be cheaper around here than the standard 450s, though I have no idea on the weight.
    Last edited by jd74914; 09-20-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Dohh...
    Jim
    "Old guy #1" at UCONN Racing

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jd74914 View Post
    What is it? (Not very well versed on different bike motors here...)

    One the surface the Raptor 660 seems like it could be a neat engine to try out. It seems to be cheaper around here than the standard 450s, though I have no idea on the weight.


    Ducati Monster 696

    80hp @ 9,000rpm
    51 ft-lb @ 7,750rpm
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

    Boogityland 2015 - Present

  9. #9
    Another engine that now comes in to play now is the Triumph 675. We contacted them about engine weight and they gave us numbers regarding engine weight, but I think it must've been with full air box and exhaust. I recall it being ~150 lbs or so. We didn't really pursue using this engine but they sure do sound good.
    Wolfpack Motorsports - NC State

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PERTH, Western Australia
    Posts
    208
    I've ridden the 675 on track (I race on an R6) and the engine has immense torque and it feels very smooth, If I had my time again, I would certainly be looking at that engine a bit harder.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

    General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts