+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Choosing an Epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by mtheo View Post
    One of our vehicle goals is to reduce weight, so I assumed that the next step would be to go from steel to carbon fiber.
    Totally unrelated, but we managed to reduce our chassis weight (not by a lot, but still) and cut cost and manufacturing time more than half by moving away from a carbon fiber monocoque and using an "inferior" aluminum folded structure. This (and similar decisions throughout the car) reduced overall weight by a good 25kg and led us winning cost in both competitions we entered. Sounding "better" does not mean it is, so try to quantify everything.

JB Weld

Pick a smaller lighter stronger driver. Maybe someone without massive test tickles, eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by onemaniac View Post
    I think you're still off point.
    Also, nothing wrong with carbon fiber suspension. If you have time and money, go crazy with it.
    But, when you're trying to implement something new that involves risk - this kind of project is better suited as a back-burner that you research on the side for the car to build a year or two later.
    Learning things on the fly through expensive mistakes without suffering real consequences (i.e. losing your job) is the beautiful part of FSAE but also the worst pitfall at the same time.
    It's good to be patient, take your time to thoroughly study your plans before jumping the gun.
    Fair point about patience. I'd like to get data on epoxies chosen, life of parts made, load failure of CF A-arms, lap sims, ect, and possibly execute this project next year if risk/reward/budget allows. So, I'm going to develop a test plan.

The trick is... There is no trick

What I've heard so far is:

"We're going to gain two thirds of bugger all in theoretical points by saving weight on our wishbones. Which won't make any difference to our overall ranking, and will double the likelihood of something breaking on our suspension.
    In order to do this I'm going to spend loads of my time researching different types of epoxies, instead of just re-using a successful steel design which would give us more testing time (=better setup & faster drivers = many more points).
    This epoxy research (instead of using a generic epoxy system) will allow me to increase the weight and stiffness gains even further, gaining an extra 5% on top of the two thirds of bugger all points previously mentioned."

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME RESEARCHING BLOODY EPOXY FOR IMMEASURABLY SMALL GAINS!! GET YOUR CAR BUILT EARLY AND ROBUSTLY AND GET IN ON A TRACK TO IMPROVE YOUR LAP TIMES!!!!
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

The easiest first-order solution is to at least make a pie chart of vehicle mass. How much do your current metal control arms weigh? How much will the CF ones weigh?
    Could you achieve the same weight loss elsewhere faster, with less effort, and with less cost? This is engineering.

If you just want to learn more about composites and inserts and engineering of bonded joints, investigate
    - material. are you laying up your own tubes or buying? or non-tubular layup? fiber stiffness? resin system? cure kinematics?
    - if make, how are you tooling it? what layup? need to develop some sort of material properties for your layups, most likely by test
    - how are you going to analyze the joint?
    - fatigue. eopxies are brittle, need good process control or enough extra strength margin to not care
    - galvanic couple
    - bond prep
    - stress distribution in the joint. what is the stress state within the adherends and the adherent? how can you design the joint to minimize stress?
    - how are you tooling the bond? How do you ensure there are no voids? My suggestion would be to proof all the joints, but that means you need to develop loads to proof to
    - damage tolerance
    - thermal strength degradation. ends will likely be within decent radiation distance of your brake rotors. put some of your test coupons in a toaster oven immediately before testing or something

If you need somewhere to start, search for paste adhesives
    Penn Electric Racing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2