+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2016 FSAE-A Australasian Competition

Hope comp is going well! I'm stuck on the other side of the country... Does anyone have a bunch of photos they would like to share? The more technical and less artsy the better, maybe even suspension shots?
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

Here is the official score's after the static events, haven't seen the results after acc and skid pad just yet.
    Also made an excel spreadsheet that I will try to keep updated as the scores are revealed.

If anyone sees something that I did wrong, just let me know and I will try to fix it.
    Attached Images
    Johan Sahlström

Lund University 2010-2015

Incredible result UoW!

More results are posted!
    Attached Images
    Johan Sahlström

Lund University 2010-2015

It was my first FSAE competition, I quite enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone for a fantastic weekend - The varying weather (!!), the organisers, volunteers, competitors, and the help that everyone gave.
    We were very happy with our car, it went very well considering the lack of testing - I'm with GRT.

Congrats to UoW, looked like a great battle till the end from overseas! Also many congratulations to all teams making it there, hope it was a great learning experience for all. Anyone willing to report what went wrong with non-runners? Also is there any place where the car specs etc. can be found (like the EU competitions' handbooks)? God, I miss Z's comp updates/posts.

P.S. Anyone having a link with "naked" photos, please post them up!

I watched some of the live stream and kept up to date with my old team. Awesome for them to get their first win in about 12 years!
    From what I could see, I really liked the Griffith car. 600-4 on 10's in a minimalist chassis with massive rear mass bias And of course they won accel. Not sure what was going on with their suspension but it looked awfully bouncy and possibly lacked the drivers for auto-x/enduro.

Track looked like a whole bunch of fun. Makes me miss competing!
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    It was my first FSAE competition, I quite enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone for a fantastic weekend - The varying weather (!!), the organisers, volunteers, competitors, and the help that everyone gave.
    We were very happy with our car, it went very well considering the lack of testing - I'm with GRT.
    GRT certainly had the most entertaining driver at comp - push-on understeer followed by boot-your-way-out oversteer - and the car ran well. (Could have been just warming tyres, but great to watch nonetheless).

Solid engine tune too.

UQ combustion destroyed a bottom end in the first dynamic events. No spare engine and missing AutoX meant there was little that we could do. The IC team will rebound from this though, they performed well in statics with essentially a first/second year team.

UQ EV not sure what broke first, suspect a weld was cracked. The car drove for the first time ever on the brake test. On the lead up to the braking zone, before the driver even touched the brakes, something failed first and then bent/broke a handful of other components.

We then became a bit of a FSAE wrecking yard with brake masters going to UWA, safety harness going to QUT and shocks going to Griffith. They were running borrowed shocks from QUT from the 2009(ish) car, which were well overdue for a rebuild. Our shocks went on just before endurance and seemed to settle the car down a heap.

I then marshaled (along with ~10 UQR members) for the rest of the weekend and got to enjoy the cars up close on the back straight. RMIT Electric and Griffith were by far the most impressive through that section, probably owed to the narrow track on these cars and the drivers massive balls. GRT was coming through in 6th gear!

Interesting this year to me was the dominance of the high power cars and non aero cars.

I would also like to say that SAE Australasia absolutely nailed the track. It was an interesting layout, fast, technical, challenging and safe for both marshals and competitors. Well done to Rob Chadwick, Matt Chapman and whoever else was involved in the setup and running of the AutoX and Endurance event.
    Last edited by Mitchell; 12-12-2016 at 02:35 AM.
    UQ Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lawrence View Post
    I watched some of the live stream and kept up to date with my old team. Awesome for them to get their first win in about 12 years!
    From what I could see, I really liked the Griffith car. 600-4 on 10's in a minimalist chassis with massive rear mass bias And of course they won accel. Not sure what was going on with their suspension but it looked awfully bouncy and possibly lacked the drivers for auto-x/enduro.

Track looked like a whole bunch of fun. Makes me miss competing!
    We have hand-me-down dampers from UQ, I also spotted they were pretty average on the Saturday. As mentioned we were very lucky to be able to borrow a good set from UQ and it took a useful chunk of time off the autocross track for us. Guess by not having the car literally bouncing off the ground is good for lap times!

Quote Originally Posted by GTS View Post
    GRT certainly had the most entertaining driver at comp - push-on understeer followed by boot-your-way-out oversteer - and the car ran well. (Could have been just warming tyres, but great to watch nonetheless).

Solid engine tune too.
    Thanks -I did a bit of the work on the engine to get it like that, I'm trying for more next year. Yes the car was a bit nasty to drive, but our excuse (like too many other teams) was that the car only turned a wheel for the first time a few days before the event. We took our best guess at the suspension settings .... we didn't get it quite right unfortunately. There's a lot more time in the car with tweaking & testing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast