* Timekeeping
    * FSC schedule and FSE Schedule
    * Website and Mobile website
    * FormulaStudentTV (youtube)

Twitter:
    @FSGinside for 'inside info'
    @FSGTimekeeping for info from the tk-van
    @FormulaStudentG
    Last edited by BeunMan; 08-09-2016 at 11:55 PM.
    Tristan
    Delft '09 Team member, '10 - Chief Electronics
    'now' (Hardware) Security Engineer

Sad to see that one team took their battery pack back to the hotel, just to have a thermal runaway. Hope the injured students gets well soon!

https://www.formulastudent.de/press-...in-hockenheim/

Local article, in german:
    http://www.heidelberg24.de/region/ho...e-6649509.html
    Johan Sahlström

Lund University 2010-2015

Congratulations to all who competed. Seems like it was another well run event.

Anyone got any good gossip, or inside information as to the challenges some of the teams faced?

From scoreboards it looks like GFR couldn't get their combustion car started back up after driver change, costing them dearly. Anyone know what happened?
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

I was watching the live stream and you could hear GFR cranking the engine at a lamentable speed. Could be insufficient battery charge, or perhaps there were a few failed attempts at a proper speed first (a hot single is always tricky), and the battery ran out because of that. Whatever the cause was, it was heart breaking. I remember very well how it feels to lose a near-certain overall victory during the driver change, so I hope the guys are already focused on the next competition and wish them the best of luck.

Big congratulations to Karlsruhe for winning FSE. They have been among the best teams for so many years, and it's great to finally see them taking the big one home. I'm sure the whole FS community is happy to see them win.
    DUT Racing Team (Delft) 2008-2010

Quote Originally Posted by JasperC View Post
    I remember very well how it feels to lose a near-certain overall victory during the driver change
    It was of course heart breaking, but for what it's worth: I don't think GFR was on track to defending their title. Up until driver change, they were about 3 seconds off pace in the endurance compared to TU Munich. They were on track to a 3rd or 2nd position overall.
    Their efficiency score and second driver speed are of course unknown. However, based on lap times in Austria the second driver is a bit faster, but not enough to make up for a 3s gap on average.

Looking back, Munich was pretty dominant this weekend and would have had an even clearer win even with GFR finishing endurance, had it not been for a botched acceleration where they only got 3.5 points.
    Alumnus
    Formula Student Team Delft

2007 - 2008: Powertrain, Suspension
    2009: Technical Lead
    2010 - present: Grumpy Old Fart/Concerned Citizen

One of the things I noticed was Monash's performance. Even though they scored points in every event, they finished 21st overall. That would have been a bit higher without the penalty and without some problems at autocross.
    When they were last in Germany, in 2014, they were on track to finishing 2nd overall had they not DNF'd in the final lap of endurance, if I'm correct. And even with 0 points for endurance, that year's team finished higher, and with more points than this year..

Does this say anything about the current level of the Australian competition? They are the 7-time defending champion after all. Or did Monash just have a bad weekend?

Thijs
    Alumnus
    Formula Student Team Delft

2007 - 2008: Powertrain, Suspension
    2009: Technical Lead
    2010 - present: Grumpy Old Fart/Concerned Citizen

Yes Thijs, I have to agree.

Was really sad to see Monash struggeling throughout the whole European trip this year. From Silverstone via Spielberg to Hockenheim, they never showed anything close to what was expected.
    Not even in their strong suit, the Skidpad they were able to post times that they did in earlier years.

I know that they had a lot of issues (as it was quite obvious during AutoX on Saturday) but still a bit disappointing.

Also sad to see that the new Continental tires caused problems for two strong teams during Endurance. Hope the guys can fix it until Spain.

But awesome performance by Karlsruhe and Munich. It is really great to see some "new" faces (besides the "typical" GFR, Delft, Stuttgart and Zurich winnners) up there. Congratulations to both teams. Espeically to Karlsruhe; dominant throughout the week, awesome stuff and highly deserved!

(Also huge tip of the hat for my former team. Killing your AutoX victory and taking a 15pt "penalty" in such a tight competition by acknowledging a cone is a great thing. I'm very sure that "back in my days" a lot of teams would have done that differently. Great job guys, am really proud!)
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

> Also sad to see that the new Continental tires caused problems for two strong teams during Endurance.

Can you be more specific about these tire problems? Just curious (and possibly looking ahead to a future TTC tire test).

Quote Originally Posted by DougMilliken View Post
    > Also sad to see that the new Continental tires caused problems for two strong teams during Endurance.

Can you be more specific about these tire problems? Just curious (and possibly looking ahead to a future TTC tire test).
    Doug,

both Hawks and Zurich had a tire going of the rim, ending their Endurance run.
    They probably are both curious how you handle the high-grip surface at your tests without this issue
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Quote Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
    Doug,

both Hawks and Zurich had a tire going of the rim, ending their Endurance run.
    They probably are both curious how you handle the high-grip surface at your tests without this issue
    Julian,

You wouldn't know how much of a safety bead those teams run do you? I have seen some very marginal attempts of this feature on many student designed rims. A decent safety bead can keep a tire on fully deflated at high loads.

Another method would be to screw into the tire beads radially.

There are also internal spacers that can be used (and are in off-roading).

Definitely something that can be accounted for in design.

Kev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast