+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Tank air cavity problem

Fuel Tank air cavity problem

Hi
    Recently we build a new fuel tank, but we are having a problem with the air cavities in the tank. We don't have enough time to make a new tank for the competition.
    Would like to know that if this is something that would interfere during the tilt test and before the endurance refiling. Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Saad View Post
    ...problem with the air cavities in the tank.
    50 views and no answers? OK, here's a really simple idea, but I do not know if it is legal--make sure to check the rules carefully.
    Drill/tap holes in the top of the cavity and in the filler neck, install fittings, connect with fuel hose, check/fix any leaks.
    Choose the slope of the hose so that the end at the filler neck is always the high point, including on the tilt table.

It won't affect anything for the tilt test as long as there is no leak.
    For endurance, there would be an issue for fuel economy points.
    Fuel economy is calculated by measuring the volume of fuel required to refill the tank after the run is over. So I don't know how the officials would handle that issue if there is inconsistency in the static capacity of the tank. (because cavity sizes can vary for every fill up)
    I was going to say the same as what Doug suggested, and it could be used as a level marker too.
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

+ Reply to Thread