+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 fsae rule no. Ic2.7.3

2016 fsae rule no. Ic2.7.3

Hello Guys, it's Ahmed Elkhodary, Fuel system member from Cairo University team, Cairo, Egypt. I'd like to inquire about Rule No. IC2.7.3 which states "Belly pans must be vented to prevent accumulation of fuel. At least 2 holes, each of a minimum diameter of 25 mm, must be provided in the lowest part of the structure in such a way as to prevent accumulation of volatile liquids and/or vapours."
    Is it required that fuel Tanks should have Belly pans or the rule is ONLY applied if the design of the tank has a Belly pan?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ahmed Elkhodary
    Cairo University Racing Team CURT
    +201006275809
    Ahmed.Elkhodary94@eng-st.cu.edu.eg
    Cairo, Egypt.

As far as we understand it, regardless of how your fuel tank is designed there must simply be two holes at the lowest points in your chassis and undertray (if you have one) to allow any leaked fluids to clear the vehicle. At FSAE-A the tech inspectors didn't care how far apart these holes were or if the ones in the chassis aligned with the ones in our undertray.
    Adam Flower
    Head Engineer, 2015, 2016
    Ergonomics Team Leader, 2014
    UTAS Motorsport
    Tasmania

We interpreted this rule as "there must be a way for fuel leaking to exit the vehicle, at least via two 25mm diameter holes". Our first two cars didn't have any bodywork or belly pans underneath the fuel tank, and it wasn't an issue. When we started running with aero, and had a floor/diffuser, we cut two wholes in that.

But as always, the best way of getting accurate answers (since us writing here are not officials at competition, or at least not writing as officials) is to contact the rules committee for the competition you're going to and asking how they are interpreting the rule. CAD screenshots of your proposed concept, or even scale model photos or sketches (I think we tried all of these for different clarifications), seems to help a lot in getting clear-cut answers from the rules committee.

ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

Thanks a lot guys for your answers they were absolutely informative and I am trying to consider all of your mentioned points.
    Ahmed Elkhodary
    +201006275809
    Cairo, Egypt.

I guess since we don't have and chassis or bodywork under the tank, and Our tank design doesn't contain and Belly pans so I suppose we don't need these 2 holes since we don't have the parts to where they should be made, I just want to be sure that your first 2 cars you mentioned you didn't get any comment concerning these rules?
    Ahmed Elkhodary
    +201006275809
    Cairo, Egypt.

+ Reply to Thread