+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with shifter length

Help with shifter length

I designed a shifter lever that is over all 12" for the hand is 7" and their is a clutch lever that is attach to the top with the cable running through the shaft of the shifter. I was told to make the shaft longer as well as how i have my design would not work would you please give me advice on what I should do.

Sifter.jpg this is an image of my design

correction with the length its actually is 5" not the 12" and the hand position is 3" not the seven.

You were told it wouldn't work? You were told to make it longer? Are you the engineer in charge of the system or not?

The point of this project is for you to be the engineer. It is your job determine whether something will work or not.

You're making a system that has to move the shift lever on the engine. It has to apply enough force to get it to move, and it has to move it enough distance to get it fully into the next gear. And it has to do it with a reasonable (not excessive) force input from the driver. Why don't you start by measuring what those force & distance requirements are, then decide if your system can meet them?

You were told it wouldn't work? You were told to make it longer? Are you the engineer in charge of the system or not?

The point of this project is for you to be the engineer. It is your job determine whether something will work or not.
    Unfortunately sometimes people on other sub-teams think they know more about your system than you do and in fact have no idea what they are talking about. Then the system you spent 8 months designing gets dropped from the car altogether. But thats a story for a different time and place.

I would say re-evaluate your requirements and review your design to make sure it meets those requirements. If it does then present your data to the team/whoever has to "approve" the design and show them that your design will work.

Quote Originally Posted by MHybrid Josh View Post
    Unfortunately sometimes people on other sub-teams think they know more about your system than you do and in fact have no idea what they are talking about. Then the system you spent 8 months designing gets dropped from the car altogether. But thats a story for a different time and place.

I would say re-evaluate your requirements and review your design to make sure it meets those requirements. If it does then present your data to the team/whoever has to "approve" the design and show them that your design will work.

Just a note: do not dismiss other's comments immediately, we found at least one issue per subsystem each time we did a "peer review" of the design. It's so easy to miss out on something when you're working on one part or system for a long period of time. Having a fresh pair of eyes looking at your work really helps there.

Jcf: did anyone tell you _why_ it wouldn't work? That would be my first question to those saying that it needs to be redesigned.

ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

Shape shifter

You could save a lot of time, space, effort and discussion time by advising the Team's powertrain committee to move the engine instead of using a shift lever. It will look good on your resume', too. This is how many company's work, so you will have a head start into the real world. A major benefit will be that both left and right handed drivers can be utilized. You really won't need reverse either if you use a bi-directional starter...

+ Reply to Thread