+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem in Wheel Assembly due to Bearing Play

Problem in Wheel Assembly due to Bearing Play

There is play between the bearing(BAH-0013D Double Row Angular Contact) inner and outer race in our wheel assembly bearing. This play was observed after we removed the old bearing to positive lock the rotors. Initially we thought it was a bearing fault but then we changed the bearing and press fitted a new bearing. So a bearing has been fitted into it 3 times and there is considerable play as can be seen in the video.

https://youtu.be/0QsSqUGIwGo

We are not able to identify the problem and the event is just a few days away. While driving the car is absolutely fine and the wheel doesn't wobble, however the driver can see the bearing play while driving.The bearing is retained with the help of a nut and washer on the chassis side and a bearing shoulder on the other side. Please give some solutions (We have extra/spare bearings)
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

All of my posts reflect my thoughts and not those of my team,university or anyone else except me

This is really common in FSAE. The problem is likely either a bad fit between the bearing outer race and the upright (what are your upright tolerances?) or incorrect axial preload.

How are you setting the axial preload? I think with these types of cartridge bearings you need to tighten up the central spindle nut sufficiently tight that it closes the two inner races on each other.

If the preload is ok and the problem is between the outer race and the upright (due to bad tolerancing or manufacturing) then one possible course of action is to use a loctite bearing retainer or similar between the bearing and the upright. Its a pretty agricultural solution and I only recommend it as a temporary fix but that amount of movement, especially on the rear axle will make the car impossibly imprecise.

If it is a double row bearing you most likely need to split the inner races . Once the balls and races get happy with each other they will loosen . on a flat plate with 180 sand paper take very little off the inner race . this will tighten up the bearing . but you must only do a little at a time . Too much and you will then need to shim between the races.
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

^ Like Scotty said. Or you might have dirt between the inner races, preventing them from properly closing-up...

Z

I tightened the nut,increased the axial preload. The play is resolved.Thanks
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

All of my posts reflect my thoughts and not those of my team,university or anyone else except me

My guess is there was some dried-out grease, possibly also with some dust mixed in, between the two inner races. This grime needed an extra bit of grunt on the wrench to squeeze out. All little details that every "grease monkey" knows, but "young engineers" take a while to learn, if ever...

Z

Z ,
    I doubt a bit about the dust because we fitted a completely new bearing, and found the play. Anyways now its happy with 0 play.
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

+ Reply to Thread