+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Converting FSAE car to street

Converting FSAE car to street

So I just bought a FSAE car, basically just the chassis with a few extra parts (uprights, spindles, seat, diff housing). I'm converting it over to an autocrosser and would like to make it street legal for the extra fun. Would like to put 17" rims on it, but obviously the spindles and probably the whole a-arms and suspension will need to be changed out, which I'm fine with. My question would anyone have any recommendations on spindles that a 17" rim would work with, including the brakes, ect.?

Also, I need a floor mount pedal assembly, I know Wilwood has one (PN #340-12410). What else is everyone using? Or does anyone have a used one for sale?

Thanks!! Will update soon with pics

I'll say this much. If you want to go on the street with a SAE car, give me your name and I'll search the obituaries once a month for you. Seriously, a liter bike would be less of a death wish then one of these cars on the street. I didn't trust these cars in 30 mph crashes let alone 70+. Then there's when another vehicle doesn't see you and they smash into you. Sorry to be mister buzzkill here, but I would keep it as an autocross car and that's it.

Also, if you put 17" wheel on one of these you're not going to be able to see anywhere but straight ahead. Not to mention all the performance implications. It sounds like you should build this. http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

FSAE car on 17's...

Adam
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Kettering University, it's students and administrators, or our sponsors.

Safety will be my #1 concern. These cars are not designed to get a side impact from a SUV even at low speed. Except a few (strange?) countries, you can't drive a car in the street without an homologation, successful crash test etc.... Your "extra fun" could be expensive and simply painful
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Adam, you should know Miata is always the answer...

Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Woah, wasn't expecting these replies. haha.

Ultimately it's actually going in a different route than I originally led on, figured it might be easier to say that to get faster replies, but that backfired.

I'm going to be converting it into a reverse trike like Scorpion P6:

Here's what that chassis looks like:
    http://www.kitspeed.com/wp-content/u...hop-pic-32.jpg

Obviously not the safest vehicle there is, but wouldn't say this is any worst than a motorcycle. If I wanted safe, I would buy a Volvo.

Cool looking project!

I used Miata NA hubs/uprights/brakes on my bike powered death machine. They're not the most balanced engineering solution, but they work and man they're cheap. Also 4x100 so tons of wheel options.
    Matt Brown

Matt, you do mean this beauty, right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsbfzmPCYX4

On the topic of converting an FSAE car for the streets: no. You have no idea about how good the quality control was in the team that made it, or how skilled the welder was. I'd try and go for a Formula Vee or a Formula Ford from a manufacturer instead, and keep the FSAE car for autocross driving (since it's fairly low speed).

ELiTH Racing 2009-2014
    Now: Grumpy old man and workplace safety lecturer

Please note that my comments does not reflect the opinions or values of Linköping University, ELiTH Racing/LiU Formula Student or their related sponsors.

I think a University should not take the responsibility to give or sell one of their Formula Student car. Too much at stake.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Crash Course

Car should be barrier tested WITH the designated driver as proof of concept. No guts, no glory.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast