+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 FSAE-Australasia

2015 FSAE-Australasia

Now that all the big Northern Hemisphere 2015 comps are over, we can start looking forward to FSAE-Oz 2015.

For example, did you know that ..... THE 100 DAY COUNTDOWN BEGINS MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!!!
    ~o0o~

Quote from Julian on the "2015 FS Austria" Competition thread:

So after seven years of FSA, the overall winners only are GFR/OSU and AMZ/ETH. What a streak. :P
    Checking the records shows that Monash has won the last SIX Oz-comps in a row.

So, ... by the end of this year will they also match GFR, AMZ above with SEVEN in a row???

Judging by a video I saw about a month ago of their 2015 car having its first test run, I would say they are well on track.

BUT (!!!) there are also quite a few "Next-Gen" cars coming this year. Namely, simple, neat, monocoques with rear-beam-axles, from ECU, Auckland, UQ, +? And one of those, UQ, is already well into its testing (ie. "test day 7(+?)" on their Facespace...).

And there is at least one "last-year's-car-with-updates" coming, which should (?) also be very thoroughly tested. (This Team is quite disappointing, given that they are one of the best resourced in the country, if not the world!) And many time winners UWA are in their second year of a two-year-plan, so could (?) also be competitive, but not much news from that side of the island.

And although Monash had some big ~100+ point winning margins in previous years, last year it was much closer...

They're catching up, Scott!!!
    ~o0o~

Anyway, Jonny is keeping us up-to-date on progress in the Apple-Isle, but it would also be good to hear how the other Oz Teams are progressing with their "relentless testing and refinement programs...".

Z

Uni SA and ADFA are also coming with beam axle cars. Will be the most beam axle FSAE cars in one location ever. I hope the design judges familiarise themselves with beam and 4-link design! Personally I am hoping to see 1st, 2nd, 3rd made up of ECU, Aukland, UQ although not in that order (Sorry Monash)
    UQ Racing

100 days that is scary!

I wouldn't complain about that result Mitchell! ECU is going along to plan, hitting our rolling deadline a week earlier than planned in June and should be on track for running car very soon. The team had quite a few members graduate at the end of last year and the team has fed a few new students into the team in which they have exceeded our expectations dramatically (especially in the driving squad.)
    We will be running a beam again like last year, with an emphasis on more rear weight distribution and weight saving, which is getting ever harder on our car, 184 is the benchmark from last year.

I am looking forward most to seeing the aero packages this year, I think its going to be quite diverse. I have also noticed a number of team running 10" Hoosier, either R25B's or LC0's.

UQ you bought what 16 sets of tyres? For testing, no wonder they were low on stock when we called
    Last edited by NathVanVugt; 08-31-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    Nathan Van Vugt

Edith Cowan University

Team Leader 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NathVanVugt View Post
    UQ you bought what 16 sets of tyres? For testing, no wonder they were low on stock when we called
    I wish we could have 16 sets! We are using R35 for testing currently, just can't afford to do the amount of testing we plan on R25. We get between 150-200km out of the R25. Yet to know exactly how the R35s last but should be interesting. Would also like to test on LC0 but the budget just doesn't stretch that far.

We are also in a similar position with new members. Sometimes you get a nice surprise from the new guys.

Our first drive was 179 wet on new tyres. Comp we expect ~190 with full aero package. ~63-65% rear weight.

Interesting about our weight, last years car was 220kg. 2013 was 240kg. This year we put no major emphasis on weight reduction, just focussed on good load paths and reduction of components. There are many parts of the car that, with additional effort, could be lighter however that effort did not line up with our goal of 6 month of to design and build. The 2015 car has nearly driven more than the 2014 car already with no serious reliability issues.
    Last edited by Mitchell; 08-31-2015 at 09:14 PM.
    UQ Racing

^ This guy, doing it right
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Hopefully we'll see you all there with our 2015 car!
    Rory Hourihan
    Chief Design Engineer - Mizzou Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
    Our first drive was 179 [kg] wet on new tyres. Comp we expect ~190 [kg] with full aero package...

Interesting about our weight, last years car was 220kg. ...

This year we put no major emphasis on weight reduction, just focussed on good load paths and reduction of components.
    To all students,

The above is a very real truism that all good Engineers eventually discover.

The usual "Racer" approach is to stick with the standard design but make everything out of CF+titanium. This usually results in few grams (maybe a few kilos) mass reduction, but at a cost of much more money/unreliability.

UQ's approach of "good load paths" (= make things shorter and more direct) and "reduction of components" (= make it all SIMPLER) resulted in an instant 40 kg mass reduction!!! (Or -30 kg when they add their full aero package.)

And the build was much quicker and easier...

Good work, Mitchell and UQ!

(Cannot help myself... just imagine an air-cooled single in the back. The overall chassis length, which is already a foot+ shorter than standard, could be another foot shorter. And <150 kg with "no major emphasis on weight reduction". Ahhh..., brown-go-kart... )
    ~o0o~

Rory,

Hope you can make it.

FSAE-Oz will never be the biggest comp in the world, but this year you can expect a really diverse range of cars.

Z
    Last edited by Z; 09-01-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Good to see that this thread is going already!

Looking forward to seeing ECU's engine this year, that mid-machining photo on FB was awesome! Starting the new trend with beam axles and folded panel-coques Be interesting to see if any other team can do the custom 4!

Mitchell, loving the testing photos and excited for aero (3D rear wing!!!). Done any practice enduro's? And how is the electric team going?

Z, should get even more diverse as KIT and TUfast are on the provisional list for Auscomp along with teams from Thailand, India, Indonesia and Malaysia. Also has anyone heard of Uni of Western Sydney starting up a team? Griffith, QUT/UTS/UQ electric, Flinders coming for the first time and UWA/ADFA back from a break.

Rory, we've looked towards Mizzou for aero inspiration in the past few years, be great to see your '15 car in the flesh

On the Monash end, we've been busy testing (R25's tyres again) and manufacturing comp ready parts.
    We are aiming to be flying soon so keep an eye out for that

Aus & NZ FB team list: https://www.facebook.com/lists/10201073788064567
    Ryan Ockerby
    Monash Motorsport 2012-2015

Quote Originally Posted by ausracing View Post
    Rory, we've looked towards Mizzou for aero inspiration in the past few years, be great to see your '15 car in the flesh
    Make sure you aren't confusing Mizzou (University of Missouri) with Missouri Science and Technology.
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

Haha very aware there are two 'Missouri' teams. Mizzou's 2013 fw side inlets and S&T's dive plates (curved sections on endplates) and fw tunnels are great inspirations for aero.
    Ryan Ockerby
    Monash Motorsport 2012-2015

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast