+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Rules

2016 Rules

The rules for 2016 Formula Hybrid are now posted on the Formula Hybrid web site at:
    http://www.formula-hybrid.org/studen...and-deadlines/

Also, in case you have not noticed, the 2016 FSAE Rules have been posted for some time on the Collegiate Design Series web site under Formula SAE Series/Rules & Documents.

Michael Royce

For a long time we have suggested that teams get their SES in (and approved) BEFORE they finalize their frame/monocoque design and before they buy the materials. It just makes sense! However, the majority of teams still submit their SES the day of or the day before the deadline.

Therefore, one of the more significant changes for the 2016 Formula Hybrid competition is that the SES deadline is October 31st 2015! But the FH organizers are now offering BONUS points to teams that get their SES in (and approved) before the deadline. +20 points if it is submitted 30 days or more before the deadline and +10 points if it is submitted 15-29 days before the deadline. If an SES is approved, the date it is submitted will be the one used rather than the date that it is actually approved.

I will be again reviewing the 2016 FH SES, and should be able to turn things around much as I did for 2015.

Michael Royce.

That just makes sense, great initiative!

Sounds good. I just hope there aren't so many oversights in the SES approvals this year as I saw in Lincoln.

Can someone clarify what "powered ground effect" are?? Does that ban exhaust blown diffusers??

If I'm remembering past discussions about that rule, it means you can't build a Brabham BT46B-esque car using a fan or other device to pull air out from underneath the car.

As for exhaust blown diffusers I recall discussions about it in the past, it would appear to be allowable but it may be worth submitting a rules clarification to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
    Sounds good. I just hope there aren't so many oversights in the SES approvals this year as I saw in Lincoln.
    It's too bad it was the same story at Michigan this year.

It makes sense to submit the SES early, but it is also quite frustrating when it takes 45 days for it to be incorrectly) approved. This earlier deadline seems like a good idea.

darges and FunkyChcken,
    I notice that you are both newcomers to the Forum.

Stop knocking the work that John Burford and his team of volunteers do in reviewing about 200 SES for FSAE Michigan and Lincoln. It is not an easy job. Tube frame cars take ½-1 hour each to go through, and monocoques take much longer. If you think you can do better, maybe you should send John Burford a note and volunteer to help out for 2016.

Michael Royce,
    FH SES Reviewer (among other things).

PS. The early SES date and the bonus points are only for Formula Hybrid for 2016.

PPS. Josh, tromoly's interpretation is correct for Formula Hybrid (I cannot answer officially for FSAE), but I don't think you will get enough gas flow out of a 250 cc engine to have any significant effect as a blown diffuser! Focus on getting your hybrid working properly and early!

Michael
    I was just curious- im in charge of aero design. We already have a working hybrid- it just needs some refining and tuning. It just seemed like the "powered ground effects" was glossed over and just mentioned in passing so I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the responses!

Josh

U of Michigan Ann Arbor
    2013 MRacing Aero/Composites Team Member
    2014 Michigan Hybrid Racing Front Wing Development Lead
    2015 Michigan Hybrid Racing Aero Development Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Royce View Post
    darges and FunkyChcken,
    I notice that you are both newcomers to the Forum.

Stop knocking the work that John Burford and his team of volunteers do in reviewing about 200 SES for FSAE Michigan and Lincoln. It is not an easy job. Tube frame cars take ½-1 hour each to go through, and monocoques take much longer. If you think you can do better, maybe you should send John Burford a note and volunteer to help out for 2016.
    Michael,

I think it would be a conflict of interest for a student to also act as a reviewer of frame submissions.

I have nothing against John Burford and the other volunteers who review the SES each year. I am merely sharing criticisms I had from my experience in May at Michigan. I know we are all thankful for everyone who is able to volunteer each year to make FSAE possible. Even though it is ultimately the responsibility of the team to design a chassis that is rule-compliant, it is still frustrating to fail tech because a chassis design was incorrectly approved by an SES judge. At Michigan this year, we spent hours talking with John and several other judges because we fell into this exact problem. I just want to make sure it won't happen again.

+ Reply to Thread