+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Complete the car's body with dacron

Complete the car's body with dacron

Hi guys! I've seeing some teams using a kind of tissue to build the car's body. They usually to place it on the car's side, to close the cockpit, for example. At the last competition here in Brazil, I asked a colleague from another university and he told me they used a kind of aeronautical tissue. I google it and figured out that it could be dacron. Are you planning build your car's body with that too? Have you ever built the body with that?

Not worth to tell us who you are, which university you belong? So you are OK to join a group without introducing your self?
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

In 2002 the UWA car used a model aircraft shrink plastic (i.e. Aeroflyte) to close out the tubes. Super light, quite strong, but not resistant to tears. Easy to repair though.

Another option for you is to look at quarter mil toughened Al skins. Aircraft guys use it. Easy to work with as you can cut it with scissors, very light.

Kev

With Dacron fabric you have to treat it to make it airtight, you also have to "iron" it on.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/...skin/index.htm

Try vacuum form plastic, you could make the mold out of almost anything and it takes seconds.

Last edited by legendaryyy; 07-08-2015 at 07:44 PM.

As Kevin said super light, but not resistant to tears. I would also add that it is cheap both in the real world and the cost report. We have used it for 2 years and I expect it will continue for the forseeable future. Applying the fabric is a low skill, easy to learn process that is wicked quick. There is tons of videos and instructions on how to apply it from the light aircraft world. No molds required. After we started using it I couldn't believe more teams don't. The goal of the body work is to close out the chassis to meet the rules and provide a surface to apply sponsor logos. This does that in what I believe to be the best way.
    Iowa State University
    Cyclone Racing

Alumni '15-∞
    Senior Advisor '15
    Technical Director '13, '14
    Chassis Team Leader '12, '13
    Member '11

My reservation about Dacron is that it's not that quick to repair. Yeah it's cheap and light, but everyone was always so terrified of accidentally kicking it! There are other similar solutions out there in hobby land that I would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by stever95 View Post
    My reservation about Dacron is that it's not that quick to repair. Yeah it's cheap and light, but everyone was always so terrified of accidentally kicking it! There are other similar solutions out there in hobby land that I would recommend.
    Repairing it only requires cutting a patch and glueing it into place, next to no time at all. Our 2013-2014 car has held up fine, the only damage being small holes from people slipping while using screwdrivers inside the car. The 2014-2015 car has no damage at all and has been through 2 competitions.
    2014-2015 Iowa State University FSAE Project Director
    2014-2015 Iowa State University SAE Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Jones View Post
    Repairing it only requires cutting a patch and glueing it into place, next to no time at all. Our 2013-2014 car has held up fine, the only damage being small holes from people slipping while using screwdrivers inside the car. The 2014-2015 car has no damage at all and has been through 2 competitions.
    Sure, you can glue a patch on. But when customers (sponsors, faculty, students, family) look at the car, an aesthetically displeasing repair (mismatched coloring, visible lines, etc.) is not a great way to inspire pride. Especially when there are other materials out there that are easier and cheaper to use, in my opinion.

But, maybe you have a much better way of repairing bodywork than my school managed. It's mice nuts.

The first year we put two or three small holes in it because people used knives/screwdrivers carelessly near the fabric. This (second) year there is no holes. It can survive flailing leg egress attempts from multiple people at two competitions with no holes, storage in an active shop with a BAJA TEAM running around, and transport in a very full trailer to competition. I don't think it is a fragile as you think. Steve, for future teams/people reading this, what would you consider to be easier and cheaper?
    Iowa State University
    Cyclone Racing

Alumni '15-∞
    Senior Advisor '15
    Technical Director '13, '14
    Chassis Team Leader '12, '13
    Member '11

+ Reply to Thread