+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 FSAE Michigan

2015 FSAE Michigan

Who's ready for the first annual competition of silent race cars? Has everyone tested their 100 dBC idle?

It seems things are a bit more dead here than they used to be thanks to social media, but this would be a good place post updates and links for us old folks.

Good luck teams!
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

There's some activity on the FSAE subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/FSAE/ .
    Links to Facebook and twitter feeds of FS events and teams were posted in the Michigan thread.
    Twitter
    Facebook

Hopefully, someone at the track can live post times or commentary.

It amazes me how much further advanced Baja is than even the European competitions as far as coverage. Nearly live coverage of all events, up to and including tech. Not to mention the fantastic camera angles and full commentary of the entire endurance race.

Here's the site they use (until they update it for next competition: ) http://results.bajasae.net/

And the endurance (which was live streaming during the actual race: ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEYR-EUeKYo

And to think all of that is coming out of a competition that is spread out over much larger distances (static events are typically a bit of a drive from the track) and in much more rural areas with limited electricity etc...

You'd think FSAE with it's superiority complex would be able to do at least half that, but they're probably more worried about making sure spectators/students/sponsors are parking in the correct areas.

Any team albums we can start looking at ?

I've heard that 39 teams made it through brake and lots of engines can be heard screaming away in the pits at 914 m/min mean piston speed in attempt to improve noise test performance.

It appears that GFR removed a second muffler and only S&T still has the top plane of a biplane front wing after tech inspection. Let's pretend this is an Aussie comp and get some real updates flowing in here.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

...People post on Reddit but not here? This makes me sad.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

We passed all techs today and ran around in the practice area a bit. Statics and scrutineering on the same day is always hectic and the new set of rules is difficult for many teams. FSG certainly does better than every other competition with a dedicated extra scrutineering day but I am sure that would add to the cost of the competition.

@Alumni - I have watched a number of Baja live streams cheering on our school and it does boggle my mind how right SAE gets it in that competition but lacks any of that availability in the FSAE events. As a team member not in Michigan this year, I am fully reliant upon someone not being busy and posting something to their social media.

@Drew Price - Some sites make it easier to communicate with the world than others. Old school forums like this one simply aren't as easy to use as social media sites or Reddit mobile. (I am a moderator on the FSAE subreddit... it isn't very busy)

Best of luck to all of the teams in Michigan! Lets all pray the competition is decided on the track and in the static events and not by the weather or unfortunate event timing.
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

What subreddit are people using...?
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

Design Finalists announced online FSAE Michigan FB page and twitter accounts.
    For those still here in no particular order...your 2015 finalists are:
    #5 U. Akron
    #7 Auburn U.
    #8 U of M, Ann Arbor
    #9 U. Florida
    #11 Campinas
    #13 U. Wisconsin
    #14 U. Kansas
    #16 TU Graz
    #19 ETS
    #71 U. Pittsburgh
    #129 U. Texas Arlington