+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Wheel Drive car

Lightbulb One Wheel Drive car

Hello everybody,
    I researched a little for this concept " One wheel drive ", and I haven't found anything really convincing rather than general talking.
    Most of what I have found was considering the concept primitive and was dumped quickly back in old days because of lack of technology and so.. even some claim that with the aid of new technology, we will see cars one-wheel-driven soon!!
    For me and only outta logical thinking, its disadvantages will appear at cornering, braking and moving off from static.
    again with some logical thinking and am not a pro in this "suspension" , maybe a decent suitable suspension system can fix it.
    I am not thinking - at least this year - of implementing it into our car but why not? and am looking for dynamics and physics analysis answers.
    This system is super light , relatively easy to be maintained and simple!

Best Regards,
    Yasser Younis,
    Drive Train Team- Cairo University.
    Last edited by Yasser Younis; 04-17-2015 at 07:02 AM.

One wheel drive as in a single front or rear drive wheel; or driving only the left or right wheel on the vehicle?
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

MCoach
    I think Yasser meant those cars built by Shell Eco Marathon teams (Prototype)
    Shell-Eco-Marathon-Cars-21.jpg
    Last edited by Ahmad Rezq; 04-17-2015 at 02:22 PM.

One-Wheel-Drive, eh...?

May as well go all the way and ... have just ONE wheel! (Which then = All-Wheel-Drive...)

Countless of these on the web, but I highly recommend this old movie of Charles F. Taylor's One-Wheeler. A cracking good example of not much new under the sun. The two-seater "Mark II" prototype in the second half shows what you get from good Engineering development.

Z

We tried that a lot of times involontary with an electric car (FSG Endurance 2011, ZF Race Camp 2012, ZF Race Camp 2013 even with "right wheel drive" meaning the two right motors of the 4WD worked, the two left ones didn't). Not so much fun in corners where only the inner wheel is driven
    Wouldn't recommend that, even if it's light weight and simple
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

fundamentally you must have 4 wheels, and you cannot run a dual rear wheel since the smaller of the two tracks must be at least 75% of the other.

however, keep in mind that the rules don't say anything about each pair of wheels being concentric in a side view.

good luck..

I suspect the fastest vehicle around a FSAE track is not a FSAE car, but a motorbike. If you could design a motorbike, with some dummy side wheels to get past the 4 wheel rules... then some very funny stuff to get past the roll hoop and firewall rules...
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

It probably wouldn't do very well in the tilt test either!

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Jonny,

"I suspect the fastest vehicle around a FSAE track is not a FSAE car, but a motorbike"

That I doubt. I winder what your assumptions are based on...

Claude

As the bike is narrower, it does not have to turn as sharply around all the cones. So if we change our track sim to show the actual path of a bike rather than the path of a car, all the radius's of the corners are larger. Larger radius means greater velocity with the same lateral acceleration.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast