+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steering System

To elaborate on Bill Cobb (excellent) post this is simple test you can do on your own FS / FSAE car.

Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees and measure the steering rack movement. Make a note of it. Try 45 degrees of steering angle more and look at the steering rack displacement again. Are the numbers the same? If not is it on purpose? If not where does the discrepancy come from? Is it from kinematics design, wrong steering column parts assembly or is there compliance?

Try yo make smaller steering angle and bigger number of increments by measuring the angle accurately. The digital inclinometer won't be good enough unless you mathematically take into account the steering wheel inclination angle. I have seen some guys "stealing" the disk that engine builders usually put on their crankshaft while they assemble their engine: that can be useful for accurate measurement of the steering wheel angle

Of course the steering wheel angle (deg) / steering rack movement (mm) ratio is not the steering ratio. The toe link angle Vs the chassis longitudinal axis (and the variation of this angle in steering), the Ackermann, caster angle and king pin angles and trails etc.. play a role too in the steering ratio. But starting with the steering wheel angle (deg) / steering rack movement (mm) ratio is a good beginning.
    Last edited by Claude Rouelle; 04-08-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

C-THRU (brand name) used to make a low priced 10" full circle protractor, in clear plastic --
    I have a couple of these, bought long ago to make quick steering wheel angle measurements.

Couldn't find the full C-THRU catalog online, maybe someone has better google skills?
    I did find this low cost 8" protractor which should be OK --
    http://www.artistsupplysource.com/pr...clear-plastic/

Amusingly google images turned up a full circle protractor in Grads -- 400 divisions to the circle!

McGiver Method

Put an I-Pad Air-2 under each wheel (or spindle) and a Smart Phone on the steering wheel rim. Couple them using Screen Mirroring or WI-FI Direct and App them into a test processing procedure.

"Welcome to the New World, Captain Ramius" ....

Quote Originally Posted by BillCobb View Post
    "Welcome to the New World, Captain Ramius" ....
    Or do it the quick way with a jury-rigged pointer (I spring clamp onto the sun visor on street cars),
    full circle protractor taped on the steering wheel, and a couple of layers of cardboard under
    the tires for turn-plates (dust in between the two pieces of cardboard is an OK solid lubricant).
    Or use real turn plates (Weaver plates) if you have them.

Depending on steering ratio, a point at every 10 or 20 degrees of steering wheel angle is enough
    to give reasonable plots of individual front wheel steering ratios. Make sure to run up and down to get
    the hysteresis.

Doug Milliken,

Might I suggest the large diameter degree wheels used by engine builders. Usually made from aluminum plate.

Sorry, BillCobb, some of the old caveman leopard skins still work and are real simple.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rwstevens59 View Post
    Doug Milliken,

Might I suggest the large diameter degree wheels used by engine builders. Usually made from aluminum plate.

Sorry, BillCobb, some of the old caveman leopard skins still work and are real simple.

Ralph
    Sure these methods will help you verify that you are close. In fact, just measure the quotient of steer arm length to pinion radius. That's your 'steer ratio'.

But methods using protractors probably won't help you diagnose the secondary Cardan joint angle error. And THAT'S what the OP seemed to be asking about. Will your method help you understand why the car feels different turning left than right? Or, will you hunt (forever) for a tire conicity or residual aligning torque problem or perform unneeded 4 wheel alignment checks or buy expensive steering gears and joints to fix a "lash" problem that won't go away?

[{'Good'}, {'fast'}, {'cheap'}]. You only get to pick two.

Doug,

"Or use real turn plates (Weaver plates) if you have them."

Nope. Been there, done that. On a "normal" car (race or passenger car of 1000 Kg or more) I have seen the tire slipping in rotation compared to the so called low resistance turning plate. So imagine with a light FSAE / FS car....

"Make sure to run up and down to get the hysteresis." Good point!

Claude

Rwstevens59,

What is the youtube link for a regular computer, not a mobile phone?
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast