+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about how to use LOCTITE

Question Question about how to use LOCTITE

Hi,

I want to ask about applying loctite. If I want to joint housing spherical bearing (made from alumunium 7075) with steel AISI 4130. Loctite what type should I use ?

Thanks,
    Ninda Kurniadi
    (Garuda UNY Racing Team)SPT depan 2.jpg

I use a loctite called "bearing retainer" or similar, and I'm not too fussy about it. Google shows this could be 603 or 641 or 620 or a few other options. It's just used to remove movement between the spherical bearing and it's housing. The bearing is still held in place with a circlip. If the housing is machined correctly you won't need much of it, and that's why I need alot of it.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Rochester View Post
    I use a loctite called "bearing retainer" or similar, and I'm not too fussy about it. Google shows this could be 603 or 641 or 620 or a few other options. It's just used to remove movement between the spherical bearing and it's housing. The bearing is still held in place with a circlip. If the housing is machined correctly you won't need much of it, and that's why I need alot of it.
    Thanks Jonny

Yes, the housing is machined. Ok I will try it, I use Loctite 609.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ninda Kurniadi; 03-22-2015 at 11:30 AM.

It looks like you might be trying to join aluminum (bearing housing) to steel (a-arm tube) with Loctite bearing retainer???? Do not do this! It's not a structural bonding agent!

Maybe I'm the one that's misunderstanding, but I think Jonny might have thought you were talking about fixing the spherical bearing into the housing, not the housing into the a-arm tube!
    Penn Electric Racing

Yes, I was mistaken sorry. I don't know anything about bonding metals. If it was me I would only use similar metals and weld it. I have never relied on adhesives for mechanical parts, and you shouldn't need to with metals. I would have thought adhesives are only required for carbon tubes. For metals, a press-fit will be better than glue.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Ninda,

I, too, was thinking along the same lines as Jonny's first post. But I have now had a closer look at your jpg-attachment. Aaaackkk!!!!!

Even if you make your wishbones all-welded-all-steel, the above You-Tube clip will still apply to your bolt-on steer-arm. And to your steering-geometry/upright-design. And to the brake-disc, which is the wrong way around...

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Ninda,

I, too, was thinking along the same lines as Jonny's first post. But I have now had a closer look at your jpg-attachment. Aaaackkk!!!!!

Even if you make your wishbones all-welded-all-steel, the above You-Tube clip will still apply to your bolt-on steer-arm. And to your steering-geometry/upright-design. And to the brake-disc, which is the wrong way around...

Z
    If I want to joint alumunium 7075 with steel tube AISI 4130. Besides welded, can use any way ?

Many Thanks,
    Ninda

If I want to joint alumunium 7075 with steel tube AISI 4130. Besides welded, can use any way ?

Many Thanks,
    Ninda

Ninda,

You could probably use an epoxy bonded joint, but most teams make the bearing retainers out of steel and weld them to the tubes. I would put a lot more trust in a weld with respect to epoxy. Without proper and consistent surface preparation you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.

If you do end up doing adhesive you should strongly consider testing a number of representative samples to failure to make sure they can handle the loads you expect.
    University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports Alumni
    http://www.uwfsae.ca/

If using alumunium and steel pipe, how to joint them ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast