+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to live for Ford

Hybrid View

Where to live for Ford

Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate enough to be offered a position at Ford in Dearborn (largely due to my FSAE involvement) and am looking into housing. What are some good areas to check out that have some fun stuff to do at night and are in a decent neighborhood? Thanks!
    Andrew Cunningham
    California FSAE

Car Chief, 2013
    Team Lead, 2014
    Aerodynamics Lead, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate enough to be offered a position at Ford in Dearborn (largely due to my FSAE involvement) and am looking into housing. What are some good areas to check out that have some fun stuff to do at night and are in a decent neighborhood? Thanks!
    Hi Andrew,

First off, congrats on the job. When do you start?

Second, your inquiry depends on what you consider to be fun: how close do you want to live to what you call fun and how close do you want to live to work. There are plenty of decent neighborhoods in SE Michigan...what kind do you want?
    Trent Brown
    Suspension/Frame
    University of Michigan-Dearborn

Dearborn

Any of the neighborhoods around UM Dearborn or the Ford facility you'll be working at ought to be good. I like SE MI's housing setup - it's easy to find cheap housing near where you work if you don't mind roommates.
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

Andrew,
    What Trent and Charles say correct.

For easy travel into Ford at Dearborn, you can look at anywhere between Dearborn and Ann Arbor, along the I-94, Ford Road and M-14 corridor. In that corridor you have U of M Dearborn, Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, and U of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Living in the center of Anna Arbor might be a bit expensive, but there is plenty of accommodation around. Good luck, and please sign on to the Ford program of proving volunteers to the MIS event in May.

Quote Originally Posted by brownts View Post
    Hi Andrew,

First off, congrats on the job. When do you start?

Second, your inquiry depends on what you consider to be fun: how close do you want to live to what you call fun and how close do you want to live to work. There are plenty of decent neighborhoods in SE Michigan...what kind do you want?
    Trent, thanks! I start in late July. I would prefer to live no more than 20 minutes away from Dearborn, but could do 30 minutes if the neighborhood was really cool. For fun I'd like go to concerts, street fairs, maybe some art exhibits, and possibly guest lecturers/speakers typically appearing at universities. I don't really go out and party but some tasty, laid-back restaurants would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kaneb
    Any of the neighborhoods around UM Dearborn or the Ford facility you'll be working at ought to be good. I like SE MI's housing setup - it's easy to find cheap housing near where you work if you don't mind roommates.
    Thanks Charles!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Royce
    Andrew,
    What Trent and Charles say correct.

For easy travel into Ford at Dearborn, you can look at anywhere between Dearborn and Ann Arbor, along the I-94, Ford Road and M-14 corridor. In that corridor you have U of M Dearborn, Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, and U of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Living in the center of Anna Arbor might be a bit expensive, but there is plenty of accommodation around. Good luck, and please sign on to the Ford program of proving volunteers to the MIS event in May.
    Michael, thanks! Do you have a feel for the vibe around the Eastern Michigan University area? Also, do you know what traffic would be like driving in from there of Ann Arbor (to Dearborn)? I'll definitely volunteer at FSAE Michigan in 2016!
    Andrew Cunningham
    California FSAE

Car Chief, 2013
    Team Lead, 2014
    Aerodynamics Lead, 2015

Andrew,
    Sorry, just catching up.

My daughter's former au pair is a grad student at EMU, so I'll try and track her down for the "vibes" around EMU. A far as travel is concerned, looking at at the map again, I would stay away from M-153 (Ford Road), it is a pain going through Canton. Coming in from Ypsi or Ann Arbor, I-94 and the Southfield Freeway (M-39) to Ford should be OK, as should Michigan Avenue (US-12.

Michael Royce

Thanks John!
    Andrew Cunningham
    California FSAE

Car Chief, 2013
    Team Lead, 2014
    Aerodynamics Lead, 2015

+ Reply to Thread