+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shifting by Servo Motor

Shifting by Servo Motor

This year I'm responsible for engine shifting , I've read about servo and I think it is suitable for shifting
    the problem is the torque required for shifting is high 6.5 N.m I couldn't find servo motor supporting this torque with high speed
    any one have a suggestion ? or experience ?
    Thank you .
    Last edited by MohamedYosry; 02-24-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Just use a manual shifter. Don't try to over-engineer such a simple system, because it will bite you. Not only do you have to find and power a suitable servo motor, you have to match this with another one to actuate the clutch and do it all quickly. You will find that a decent driver can probably shift faster than the servo system, and will certainly be more reliable. If you must over-complicate your car and use some kind of automated shifter, there are off-the-shelf options for linear electric actuators and pneumatic systems (I know because my team used them before going back to manual).
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

We looked very closely at using a servo motor. There are some high-torque "smart motors" that could be used with a gearbox; however, significant setup and testing time would likely be required and in the end we decided it would be better to leave that for a senior project or research project rather than try to get it on this year's car. The system was also not looking very light.

We have had good results with pneumatic shifting. We use high-pressure air (not C02), electric solenoids, and electric switches hooked up to paddles on the steering wheel. There have been some minor issues with "finding" neutral but we have some plans in store for that this year making use of circuitry (sorcery?).
    Andrew Cunningham
    California FSAE

Car Chief, 2013
    Team Lead, 2014
    Aerodynamics Lead, 2015

Thank you all for your help

+ Reply to Thread