+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scales and Fixture

Scales and Fixture

Hi everyone,

I am with Lafayette Motorsports. I am looking into upgrading to some high quality scales for accurately measuring each corner weight. I have heard some good things about Longacre's scales but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions about Longacre or a different product that has worked well. I also would like to purchase a setup fixture and platform for the car to sit on the scales. Our team has bought some bad cheap ones in the past, so we're looking for a bit higher quality-even if it's expensive. I'm open to any suggestions that anyone has about this.

Thank you,
    Brendan

The Longacre scales work fine. Build your own fixture for holding and leveling them, it's not that hard.
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

Quote Originally Posted by bob.paasch View Post
    ... Build your own fixture for holding and leveling them, it's not that hard.
    Before you build the fixture, run an error analysis to see the sensitivity to different variations from "perfectly level", document/correlate and bring it (either the rig, or photos) to design.

Edit -- Feb 25, 2015. Since the post above, I happened to meet a guy who sells scale pads. Have not seen them (so this is not a recommendation either way), just passing along the link -- www.trakkrats.com
    Last edited by DougMilliken; 02-25-2015 at 11:16 AM.

I needed scales for karting last season, so I went to Meijer, bought 6 identical cheap scales, unwrapped them all, found four that gave* my weight as the same number within 1#, and returned the other two. You'll want to find a good way to shim the scales to even out the best part of your floor.

*Zeroed to the same position, moved to the same position under load. They could be quadratic and have different quadratic curves for all I know!
    Last edited by Charles Kaneb; 02-25-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Physics
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

Addendum: Don't do the cheap-Meijer-scales trick.

The springs sag. I went from 165 to 180 lbs on real Toledo scales but 158 to 205 on the cheapo scales in the last year and a half. The kart mysteriously gained 25 lbs too and I'm not THAT much worse a fabricator or engineer than when I got to Detroit!
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

+ Reply to Thread