+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Steering Rack Location-Opinions Needed Please

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesWolak:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LafayetteFSAE:
    Would you be able to tell me the rule # that pertains to the steering rack?

Also, can you explain more about how our steering inputs aren't linear on last years car?

Another thing I'm concerned about is if the rack is mounted on the floor and attaches to the back side of the upright(so a standard rack w/out modification would work), how can you get the steering shaft down at such a steep angle, I feel that a single u joint would lock up due to the large angle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know about the template rule then you need to re-read your rules. I am not looking up the rule number because its just silly. Its like looking up the restrictor sizes we all know what they are we dont need the rule number. Just search around the forums about the template rule. I think Pat Clark mentions that the rule was created to force a lower placement of the rack. But if you are looking for a rule that states "the rack must be here" there isn't one. You can go with a top mount still but the template rule was created to guide you away from it.

For the linearity of your steering input. I am a nearly dyslectic powertrain guy so i apologize for my poor job at explaining it. Basically the angle from your rack to you attachment on the upright is causing it. That angle is going to change as you turn the wheel. Which will change the rate of your steering angle input to actual wheel angle. I think thinks a poor explanation i apologize.

I don't mean to call you baby ugly either. We have done the same, we even did it last year when we were aware of it but it was minimal and couldn't be avoided with the c-factors available. Sure we could of made our own rack but i big portion of FSAE is weighing time to gain and we found it not to be worth it.

Also they are correct you can flip the rack and that would work. Didn't think about that and because you are on the front side of the upright flipping it wouldn't make the the steering shaft angle isn't going to be any worse then putting it on the backside. Good luck with your small drivers though this might be just as bad in ergonomics as the top mount but then again it could work perfect. I would suggest this if you can pull it off.

I am sure my roommates/teammates are giggling over the fact that i am commenting on suspensions threads. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about that, I thought there was a specific rule that was speaking about rack placement. I looked at the template you are talking about, I guess our team passed it last year at VIR so maybe a top mounted rack wouldn't be out of the running. We are only a 3rd year team so there is a lot for us to learn about this semester in preparation for next year. I have plenty of racing/mechanic experience, but my school doesn't offer any vehicle dynamic courses, so Im just trying to read what I can and learn from the forums here which has been a big help so far.

I really have a hard time believing that you passed the template rule but i could be wrong.

Templates didn't exist at VIR last year so you're right they didn't pass the template rule.
    Ryan M.

Our car got "pre" templated in Oct 2008 at a SAE meeting so they coulda been floating around at VIR.

By the time I made it down to VIR last year, the car had already went through tech, so I couldn't tell you what the deal was on that...Im going to cut the template out tomorrow and see what the results are.

If you are concerned about bump steer from rack placement, you just need to make sure to connect your tie-rod and a-arm ICs (if you don't already know about it). Check it:

http://server3.e2etech.com/~ad...mp_steer_drawing.jpg

Using this method, a simple ADAMS sim gives us like .05 degrees of bump steer through a 2.5-inch wheel travel.

Compliance isn't something we are concerned about, since we are using solid rod-ends and sphere bearings and whatnot (no rubber mounts).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3