+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electronic Throttle Position Sensor/ DBW

Electronic Throttle Position Sensor/ DBW

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for electronic throttle position sensors with implementable fail-safes that we can buy? (Potentiometer or hall effect style, or any other kind).

Thanks

This is for an electric sae car by the way.

What are the requirements for a throttle sensor on an electric SAE car?

Rules simply state that the the accelerator must revert to a zero torque signal to the motor in the event that any of the mechanical or electrical components inside the actuator fail. They even recommend we purchase a commercially available unit.

I know that accelerators in most modern cars produce two signals which need to match by a certain percentage. If one output deviates from the other, it will set the vehicle back to idle or a "limp" mode. This is the kind of failsafe formula hybrid is looking for. You'll have to excuse me for being a new.

I'm just looking for recommendations before we spend over $100 on a throttle position sensor.

Here's one that we looked at for our snowmobile. It's readily available, easy to interface with, not necessarily the cheapest, but it has a neat feature, like using the throttle cable to actuate it. This may seem silly, if there is one thing that I prefer, as a driver, is less little blinky lights in my face and being able to use my other senses to figure out what's going on with the car. Driving the car causes the throttle cable to oscillate and this gives some feedback that can give some sense of velocity and engine/motor rpm. I was having a discussion with one of my co-workers recently who did a fair amount of motorsports in his day, and this subject came up. He was telling me about the developmental time of Moto-GP when they started to move to throttle-by-wire. He agreed with the above and told me that nobody wanted to ride the new bikes because they felt "dull" and "numb". The riders were referring to the difference between the cable throttle and the electronic throttles and I think one of the solutions is similar to what is presented here. It solves the technological leap, and keeps the haptics happy.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FdQZtAodjRAA_g
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

So, this is for a Hybrid, not an electric car? A hybrid car which got a full size electric powertrain (so you call it an electric car) and electronic throttle control?

A throttle sensor is just a position sensor, can be anything, rotary, linear, it just depends on how it is integrated. No need to buy something with the name "throttle sensor", is there? Springs can be added separate from the sensor (at least in FSAE, never read the hybrid rules, which this thread seems to be about)...

Google "redundant rotary position sensor", add motorsport to find exclusively the expensive ones.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sekl View Post
    ...add motorsport to find exclusively the expensive ones.
    That gave me a good laugh, thanks! Adding to the above, we use linear potentiometer(s) with separate return springs.

Quote Originally Posted by sekl View Post
    So, this is for a Hybrid, not an electric car? A hybrid car which got a full size electric powertrain (so you call it an electric car) and electronic throttle control?

A throttle sensor is just a position sensor, can be anything, rotary, linear, it just depends on how it is integrated. No need to buy something with the name "throttle sensor", is there? Springs can be added separate from the sensor (at least in FSAE, never read the hybrid rules, which this thread seems to be about)...

Google "redundant rotary position sensor", add motorsport to find exclusively the expensive ones.

Cheers
    Formula Hybrid is a competition for Hybrid And Electric vehicles. It's understandable that you aren't aware. I came here for help because the formula hybrid forums are dead and it seems that some Fsae teams have used DBW based on a search here.

Thanks for the suggestion. New team here.
    Last edited by hsulaimon; 01-22-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hsulaimon View Post
    Formula Hybrid is a competition for Hybrid And Electric vehicles.
    Thanks for the hint. However, in that case I do (again) not understand what you need a throttle for on an electric car..? Where do you plan to put the sensor? On the pedal then, as a torque pedal sensor?

Don´t get me wrong, you´re welcome, but it is hard to help without knowing the requirements, e.g. rule numbers or text and a introduction to what you plan to do with the sensor.

Gruß

+ Reply to Thread