Thread: How to make the design event better.

Threaded View

I have to say that I am getting pretty bloody tired of the tit-for-tat arguments that are degrading this forum. I repeat. We are all fighting for the same cause. I know each of the protagonists in the above arguments, and you ARE all in agreement about the intent of the comp, the quality of engineering education in this part of the world, and even many of your ideas of how to improve FSAE. FFS, stop this bullshit arguing and poring over points of order and stand above this destructive nonsense. In particular, those engaged in these silly "Z vs the world" arguments, your antagonism is doing more harm than good. We have reduced a much needed discussion to a name-calling exercise.

GTS, I have full respect for what you are trying to do by giving a judges point of view. It is well needed given the lack of real feedback we have been getting from event judges. But your headline about paranoia is plain offensive and low, and has dragged this debate into the gutter. Take it down.

I am not interested in who said what to who, I am not interested in picking apart someone’s post and quoting the words used in the fourth line of the third paragraph of someone’s post from two pages back. I could not give a fat rat's clacker how you justify your latest minor revision of your argument, or how desperately important it is that we all know that the answer is "red" whilst that other fool is arguing it is "crimson". No matter who you are, what your history is, whether you are a competitor or alumnus or a judge or an official or a marshal or a spectator or an F1 designer or a former competitor's uncle's greengrocer - if you feel the need to post out of spite or to defend your honour or to set someone straight - then you should probably take a Bex and lie down for a while.

No-one wins when we start getting personal.

I am here because I know the FSAE program is the best damn thing that happened to me during university, and was the only bloody thing I did at university that taught me anything about engineering. In my country the event is so close to imploding it is not funny, and it pains me greatly that future engineering students will not get the opportunity I did. And yet in the face of such crisis, we are playing silly little power games, and attacking personalities rather than discussing ideas.

And that is the point. This forum, when it works, is a competition of ideas. As is FSAE. It is a meritocracy. But I have seen both these forum boards and the event itself degrade into ego driven political bun-fighting. It is childish, it is petulant, and it is killing our event.

If you have an idea, offer it. If it is good, it will float. If it is not, it will sink. Your idea does not become better by restating it over and over, and it does not become a better idea by belittling people who have an alternative idea. It is time to stand above the petty name-calling and spitefulness. It is time to stop the silly arguing and tantrums and carefully worded slights undermining your perceived foes. If you can’t bring a bit of goodwill, humility and collaboration to the table – then FFS please inflict your harm elsewhere.

And no, I do NOT accept bullshit cop out arguments that this is the way things are done in industry. If industry is as unprofessional as this, then we will just do better.

My respect will go to those who can stand above the bickering and redirect their energies to something constructive
    My respect will go to those who can recognize where they have erred, and are not too precious to apologize
    My respect will go to those who can find the ways in which we agree, rather than disagree
    My respect will go to those who can prove to us they are here for the betterment of the FSAE experience

My comments on static event improvements will follow.
    Last edited by Big Bird; 01-26-2015 at 11:48 PM. Reason: I ranted more. Edit #2. Once again, but with feeling
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.