+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About 95% percentile

About 95% percentile

i have some questions about 95% percentile and ergonomics study for the car :

1) The 95% percentile for which population , for north american , British or 95% percentile of my local population ?!

2) How could we design a car that suit 95% percentile of male and 5% percentile of female , the 95% percentile male height is about 187 cm and 5% percentile female is 152 cm , there is a huge difference between them ?

3) must we design the car for 95% percentile of male ( Percy ) or for our drivers and their comfort in the car and if our drivers are around 180 cm , should we get other drivers ?

thanks.

Your car must fit the percy template to pass tech, with the required roll hoop to helmet clearance. How you then fit your actual drivers in is up to you providing they again pass the roll hoop clearance test.

The key point is that the percy doll doesn't have to fit comfortably in the car so don't get hung up that a 95th percentile driver isn't 'comfortable' unless of course your drivers happen to be 95th percentile people. It's far more important that your drivers are comfortable in the car.

How could you fit a 95th and a 5th? Adjustable pedals, steering wheel, seating position, etc.

Christian
    Aston University Formula Student - VD/Suspension guy.

okay , there is a difference between 95% percentile according to population and i found no thing in the rules determine which 95% percentile population ?!

will we make the car according to north american or British or 95% percentile of my country ?!
    Last edited by omar elhelw; 12-11-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Read the rest of the rules. The dimensions of the template that are used to determine whether your car fits are clearly defined.

yea i tested the templates mentioned in the rules , i was asking about the 95% percentile population of which country ?!

Page 33 of the FSAE Rules.
    Team Starcraft e.V. - Formula Student TU Ilmenau

Active Member 2011-today

may i didn't illustrate what my question is ,
    the rules said that the car must suit 95% percentile of male and 5 % percentile female and the dimensions was illustrated by template in page 33 in rules.
    But i was asking for 95% percentile population which the rules made this dimension according to it ?!
    95% percentile of north american population , British population , German population or what !?

I don't know that and I don't understand why this matters to you. The rules are very specific about this Topic.

If you need to know the design spaces for CAD, I recommend building a simple mock up (Wood or steel) and ask the Drivers what they are comfortable with. If you use the search function you will find many Posts regarding this Topic.
    Team Starcraft e.V. - Formula Student TU Ilmenau

Active Member 2011-today

Please... just go ask the rules committee...
    Why are you wasting your time trying to argue with the people who didn't make the rules???
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

i will go and ask the rules committee

thanks a lot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast