+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Lincoln 2015

Formula SAE Lincoln 2015

Is anyone else on one of the teams that's been waitlisted for Lincoln? This is the first team our team has not gotten in, wondering if anyone has contacted SAE.

What exactly are you asking, are you saying you were unable to get on the waitlist, unable to get in the first round of registration, or unable to register from the waitlist upon the opening of a spot?

I am not sure if you understand how registration works.....

Registration at the US competitions is basically decided by a first come, first serve system. In the case of the Lincoln event there is 80 open seats for combustion vehicles. After all of these spots are taken, the wait list begins.

There is no advantage for teams that have attended the event before unless your team placed in the top 10, in which case, you would be eligible for Pre-registration.

What I'm getting at is as follows: This is the first year our team hasn't gotten into Lincoln. Is there a greater demand for spaces at Lincoln? And if yes, why hasn't the number of spots been increased? Seeing if anyone feels the same way and would like to get in touch with SAE. There is no way they are space limited, considering how they can have separate tracks set up.

Track size and "space" is not the only limiting factor for an event.
    You also need enough volunteers, judges, scrutineers... for a larger event. (And it all comes down to money, I guess...)

I think you can't do anything about that. Just wait and see if you get in.
    The question is, why are you not in? Just too slow when the registration was opened? Or did you register for Michigan first?

The US competitons need a new system to offer starting positions, like a Quiz to make it not a "who clicks first" registration, if the spaces are in fact limited... Maybe you can suggest thatto SAE to make it better in the future?
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Quote Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
    The US competitons need a new system to offer starting positions, like a Quiz to make it not a "who clicks first" registration, if the spaces are in fact limited... Maybe you can suggest thatto SAE to make it better in the future?
    Prior to this year, registration for Lincoln as a second event wasn't difficult, there was ample time to click the button. Lincoln is becoming more popular, and there are fewer spots left for the second registration round.
    Andrew Palardy
    Kettering University - Computer Engineering, FSAE, Clean Snowmobile Challenge
    Williams International - Commercial Turbofan Controls and Accessories

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~Arthur C. Clarke

JulianH: Yes volunteers have to be available, but Michigan SAE is at 120 teams and I see it being maxed out due to paddock space. Maybe money is an issue because if you register, you don't get a refund after leaving, and the team that replaces you still has to pay.

Our team is already going to Michigan so that is why we had to wait till the second round of registration, and we were right on the registration page for 10AM EST.

As for implementing a quiz into the process, we do that for a smaller non-SAE event and we're not in favour of it.

apalrd: I think you understand 100% where my team is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph.liu View Post
    JulianH: Yes volunteers have to be available, but Michigan SAE is at 120 teams and I see it being maxed out due to paddock space. Maybe money is an issue because if you register, you don't get a refund after leaving, and the team that replaces you still has to pay.

Our team is already going to Michigan so that is why we had to wait till the second round of registration, and we were right on the registration page for 10AM EST.

As for implementing a quiz into the process, we do that for a smaller non-SAE event and we're not in favour of it.

apalrd: I think you understand 100% where my team is coming from.
    It's fairly easy to get volunteers for FSAE Michigan. Lincoln, not so much. Too far from anything automotive. With the e-car competition plus the c-cars, FSAE Lincoln is maxed out.

I've heard that registration as a second event filled in less than a minute. If you really want a second comp, start fund raising for Europe. :^)
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

I agree, JulianH.

In a few FS competitions, some developed teams are unable to compete due to a registration slot constraint. For this case of demand exceeding supply, a rules quiz being implemented seems fair.

A quiz may be a better option than "first to click", as it might be a reflection a team's preparation and desire to compete. The teams who study best should be rewarded with a good grade; i.e. registration spot. Maybe one could argue that being prepared means having 15 laptops and low internet latency.
    Latency.JPG
    Last edited by Steve Krug; 12-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Steve Krug
    Wisconsin Racing

As Bob stated above, the limiting factor at Lincoln is the number of volunteers! I believe the best way of getting more spots at Lincoln would be contacting alumni from your team to come volunteer for the competition instead of emailing SAE.
    Sean O'Neill
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports '12 -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast