+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "effective braking power" rules clarification

"effective braking power" rules clarification

Hi all, I'm designing the brake system for our team, this is our first year so still in the early design stages. I wanted to clarify a section of the rules...

In the section I've pasted below, what is meant by the phrase "effective braking power" when considering the case of a fault in one of the hydraulic circuits. I've been trying to do some calcs for this i.e. a worst case scenario, but its quite vague in terms of what the remaining brakes must be able to do. Any ideas?

T7.1.1 It must have two (2) independent hydraulic circuits such that in the case of a leak or failure at any point in the system, effective braking power is maintained on at least two (2) wheels. Each hydraulic circuit must have its own fluid reserve, either by the use of separate reservoirs or by the use of a dammed, OEM-style reservoir.

If you want an absolute definition you'll have to contact the rules committee. As far as I'm concerned it just means that you're still able to lock the two wheels on the circuit that hasn't lost brake pressure, and hence can achieve the maximum braking ability able to be afforded to you by that end of the car. What they're trying to achieve is to make sure you have some ability to brake the car should you have a mechanical failure that takes a brake circuit out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Menisk View Post
    If you want an absolute definition you'll have to contact the rules committee. As far as I'm concerned it just means that you're still able to lock the two wheels on the circuit that hasn't lost brake pressure, and hence can achieve the maximum braking ability able to be afforded to you by that end of the car. What they're trying to achieve is to make sure you have some ability to brake the car should you have a mechanical failure that takes a brake circuit out with it.
    Yeah achieving wheel lock on the remaining two wheels was my initial understanding, but wanted to check. I guess it might be worth checking with the rules committee, but for now I'll go with that assumption. Thanks for your help

+ Reply to Thread