+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 FSAE-Australasia

2014 FSAE-Australasia

Exams are slowly winding up, then we have several weeks to prepare the car, equipment, and travel logistics. (We are travelling by sea!)

Other teams have been fairly quiet on public forums. Many secrets and innovations... (UTAS is mostly old tech, nothing to hide, everything to learn).

Are there any other teams that have not competed in the last 10?
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

C'mon Oz-Teams!

By now you should all have mega-testing under your belts.

So..., how many of you have set new lap records?

How many sub-4 second Acceleration times?

Sub-5 second Skid-Pad times?

Or ... don't tell me all this silence is because you are still finishing off your cars??? Aaaaack, panic stations!!!

Z

This silence is slightly worrying

No testing pics or engine start up videos yet?

Most students are in the middle of exam periods, hence the quiet period.

There is still a lot happening though, RMIT-e are now rolling and now Newcastle.

If you head to https://www.facebook.com/lists/10201073788064567 you can follow all the Aus and NZ teams facebook pages.

I think James Cook Uni are heading down, pretty sure they have never competed before! Excited to see UTAS back in FSAE Jonny.

In terms of how teams are going (as far as I know):
    - QUT (electric, getting ready for '15), UWA (restructuring team and focusing on getting a car to FSG '16) and Flinders (only created a team this year, aiming for Aus '15) are unfortunately not coming this year
    - Cantebury (first to drive), Curtin, Monash, ECU (with their awesome custom 600 'Emma'), Auckland, Adelaide, James Cook, Melbourne, UNSW and UQ (Aerobeam!) are all driving (sorry if I missed your team)
    - Of those I think ECU, Adelaide, James Cook (have been driving since last year) and UQ have finished comp-ready cars (from what I can tell from photos)

Z, are you coming this year? Last year's commentary was fantastic.

Ryan
    Monash
    Ryan Ockerby
    Monash Motorsport 2012-2015

We are testing, tuning and have had our car launch. Still tweaking some components and learning the new concept, but the car is complete and comp ready.

The 2014 car is a big step forward from the 2013 car. As for < 4.0 accel and < 5.0 skidpan, well.... you will all find out in december

I am personally hoping for one of the closest Aus comps ever.
    Last edited by Mitchell; 11-07-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    UQ Racing

Ryan I believe Monash is up and running too, right?

Yes but not comp-spec ready (though very close).

Mitchell, do you have any video of your car driving? Keen to see how it handles. Or waiting till comp?

Quote Originally Posted by ausracing View Post
    Yes but not comp-spec ready (though very close).

Mitchell, do you have any video of your car driving? Keen to see how it handles. Or waiting till comp?
    Will most likely be waiting for comp, maybe we can put something together from the gopro footage we already have. The handling is not significantly different to a regular car, just seems to float over bumps a bit differently.
    UQ Racing

UTAS where not able to get the engine running, so the car has remained idle over exams and is untested. We don't yet have a body either. If we do get it running, we will be on second hand tyres at this stage.

This whole FSAE business is too overwhelming. Designing a car is almost the easy part. Doing a cost report was a massive 'cost' to the team in terms of energy and sleep. Then there is transport, actual costs etc... Add to the fact that most of our team don't actually know that Business presentation and Cost are events at the competition... As I said, an overwhelming amount of stuff which counts to zero in our degree. I invite experienced people and team advisers to come and have a chat to the UTAS guys. But be gentle...
    Last edited by Jonny Rochester; 11-08-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Rochester View Post
    UTAS where not able to get the engine running, so the car has remained idle over exams and is untested. We don't yet have a body either. If we do get it running, we will be on second hand tyres at this stage.

This whole FSAE business is too overwhelming. Designing a car is almost the easy part. Doing a cost report was a massive 'cost' to the team in terms of energy and sleep. Then there is transport, actual costs etc... Add to the fact that most of our team don't actually know that Business presentation and Cost are events at the competition... As I said, an overwhelming amount of stuff which counts to zero in our degree. I invite experienced people and team advisers to come and have a chat to the UTAS guys. But be gentle...
    It may count to zero in an academic sense (depending on the Uni..) but the knowledge gained in SAE is priceless. Imagine you had to travel from overseas! Coming down from QLD is pretty annoying and expensive but our team has had a while to work it out and make the process smooth. It does get easier as your team grows. I would estimate this project to take between 150-200 hours a week, maybe more.
    Last edited by Mitchell; 11-09-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    UQ Racing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast