+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 FSAE-Australasia

Is there any live streaming of the competition set up at this point of the competition?
    WWU FSAE
    2010-2011 Chassis/Welder
    2011-2012 Tech Director
    2012-2014 Project Manager/Welder

Rex,

Thanks again for the link to pics. Regarding the drivers, it is quite a slog getting reliable numbers for the car itself, so I'm not sure how I would manage running a tape measure over all the driver's cojones!

But, agreed, driver skill and overall testing time makes a big difference. In most cases (may be a few exceptions...) the Possibles are in the lower list because they had not done enough testing to know "How much faster is this year's car?".
    ~o0o~

Daniel,

For some reason Teams like to quote Cl.A as N kg at M kph, with M being a very random number. Plus it was hard to always get hold of the Aero-Guy. I was doing my "journo" bit inbetween all the Teams getting Static Judged, and also trying to get through Scrutineering.

Acceleration event may be comparable to all other comps. But Skid-Pan is really on the worst section of track at the whole circuit. Much broken surface, several ruts, about 1/4 of one loop has quite bad adverse camber (slopes down-outwards, wish I had brought my bubble-level along to measure it). I like it!
    ~o0o~

SOG,

I'm still trying to master this interweb thing. Maybe ask Some Young Guy. Rex?
    ~o0o~

Now off to sit next to Skid-Pad!

Z

Live times at http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/

Numbers are just numbers, it will be the track that speaks loudest.
    Brent

3rd world solutions for real world problems.

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

SATURDAY NIGHT UPDATE.
    ========================

Some quick thoughts while I can remember them.

* Most results so far are shown on Rex's Facebook page.

* Today (Acc, SP, & AutoX) was hot (30+C), windy, and sunny, so track temps probably 50++C and good for grip.

* Acceleration was directly into a wind of maybe 10-15 m/s (30-50 kph). This speed guessed from throwing grass into the air and counting seconds and distance travelled. This may have helped the big-aero cars during launch, but also would have slowed their Vmax. Anyway, best times were,
    1. #7 ECU 3.802 seconds,
    2. #41 UQ 4.002,
    3. #47 Auckland 4.206...
    So 600-fours with beam-rear-axles had quite a jump on the next cars. Both ECU and UQ could have dropped quite a few more tenths if they had MORE REAR WEIGHT! As with almost all of the cars, they were both spinning wheels for first ~20 metres.

* Skid-Pad was bumpy and windy as noted. Top times,
    1. #66 Monash 4.997,
    2. #7 ECU 5.006,
    3. #47 Auckland 5.030,
    4. #101 Melbourne 5.205...
    The 0.2 second jump to Melbourne probably due to ZERO suspension movement, at least as seen by these old and failing eyes. Rear may (???) have had a few millimetres movement? AutoX and Enduro track are much smoother, proving the adage of "Any suspension will work, if you don't let it." (at least in the typically smooth conditions of circuit racing). UQ, with soft-warp suspension, were smooth around SP and only fractionally slower than above times. UQ later spent some time "off-roading" in the AutoX, and handled it effortlessly.

* AutoX was ~1.2 km. Monash's best time of ~75 sec works out at around average speed of 57 kph (from rough mental calc). This time set later in the day when temps were up, and wind was down. Very interesting was the new (and controversial!) format that allowed unlimited runs for anyone caring to rejoin the queue. I think Curtin topped the table here with about 29 runs! Many other cars did 12++ runs. Note that Enduro is only 18 laps total. Reliability was good, with not too many failures.

* The other big controversy was the NON-scaling of the Design scores. These were from a highest of 122 (Monash) to 6? for the lowest(?). So really the whole event was only worth ~60 points. You may hear more about this later... Interesting watching Team Supervisors vs Officials, in, err, ... spirited debate!

* Casualty Ward: (Taken by Team #, and from paddock gossip.)
    #13 Canterbury - Electrical gremlin has visited their solenoid operated gear-shift, and/or the wiring loom. Hence poor performance so far.
    #23 Tokai - Unknown problem, but it was parked in the infield for most of the day.
    #34 James Cook - Not through scrutineering yet, but on upside when they finally got weighed their original estimated weight of ~300kg dropped to a real 259 kg. Yeayyy!
    #63 UNSW - The All-Ally car was still struggling through scrutineering last I looked.
    #84 Warsaw - Engine electrical connectors, and possibly turbo? (blue smoke in exhaust).
    And many other smaller problems for other Teams, but seemingly fixable...

* Enduro (x 2) tomorrow should have similar weather conditions to today. Predicted rain in afternoon, but only few mm? Same course as AutoX, but run backwards (ie. AX = Anti-ClockWise, E = CW).

Z
    Last edited by Z; 12-13-2014 at 04:17 AM.

live stream

The fsae-a page promises live stream on sunday. I saw something being setup today, so hopefully it works tomorrow 😊😊
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

One more thing Z,
    Melbourne had minor engine troubles for accel and early autox, then major engine issues in last few autox laps, where the drivers noted a power loss.

Turns out coil pack on cylinder #1 decided to vibrate out of its slot, so we ran on 3 cylinders by the end of autox (when it was sounding really bad). Issue is now sorted (replaced with spare coil-pack). So hopefully the MUR engine will be sounding angry as usual for enduro ����

Note to future MUR teams - keep an eye on your coil packs, and don't let fat drivers sit on them. This makes them bend and not fit into the cam cover properly ���� and then you lose a cylinder and the car pulls really poorly in accel. ��
    Rex Chan

Thanks Rex and Z for the updates! Rex do you have any more "naked" car photos? Would love to see those! Also the Natsoft timing page does not seem to work for me no matter what I tried; I managed ton catch up due to FSAE-A page and Monash twitter

More photos

Hi mech,

I didn't take many more details shots today, but will try tomorrow in the enduro line.

The live-timing seems to be off for now, so maybe we all need to screenshot it
    Rex Chan

Teams can have unlimited autocross runs?? What's the reasoning behind that?
    Daniel Muusers
    Formula Student Team Delft
    2010-2015

Quote Originally Posted by DMuusers View Post
    Teams can have unlimited autocross runs?? What's the reasoning behind that?
    I don't know why, but I suspect it's to allow more runs from teams that have prepared well. We're such a small comp (25 teams), and we only go to comp once a year (unlike the euro teams or USA teams). I'd say it was done to give teams more opportunity to "practice"/experience comp.
    Rex Chan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast