+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doubt in Air Intake Rules

Doubt in Air Intake Rules

According to Rule IC 1.4.2 Any portion of the air intake system that is less than 350mm above the ground must be shielded from side or rear impact collisions by structure built to Rule T3.25 (which says that it must be a side impact member.)
    I want to mount our turbo on member just after the Main Hoop which is 300 mm above the ground for our chassis(Please see the attachment)Chassis Screenshot.jpg. Although this clearly doesn't satisfy the above rule I have seen reports of a few teams who have done the exact same thing.So are we missing something?Is it legit to mount the turbo on the side members of the engine bay which are 300mm above the ground?
    Last edited by ritwikdas18; 10-24-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

All of my posts reflect my thoughts and not those of my team,university or anyone else except me

If its on the outside of the chassis, then that's probably a no. Its in direct conflict with a very clear rule.
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

What if its on the inside ? It will be protected by the side members of the engine bay.
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

All of my posts reflect my thoughts and not those of my team,university or anyone else except me

"must be shielded from side or rear impact collisions by structure built to Rule T3.25"
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain

If it's not protected from debris, what will happen when the front wheel tosses a big rock into the throttle body and restrictor and smashes it to smithereens? Will the car instantly go WFO/unrestricted until the driver hits the kill switch?
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

It is quite simple. What you describe is prohibited by this rule. I'm not surprised though that you might have seen cars violating that rule as not many people (teams AND organisers) are really aware of that rule for whatever reason. So you have two options. You can mount the turbo higher to get it above the 350mm or you have to use the very heavy side impact protection tubes for your rear frame.

Or as a third option you could just leave it and hope that the scrutineers don't get it - but that's a risky game ;-)
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

Well Side Impact Protection tubes can't be used for rear frame because a side impact member is defined as the tube connecting the front and the main hoop.So the rule basically says , if there is any part of the intake system below 350mm then it must lie within the front and main Hoop
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

"must be shielded from side or rear impact collisions by structure built to Rule T3.25"
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain

Yes so according to that it must be a side impact member(which is defined as the member between the front and main hoop).
    Ritwik Das
    Inspired Karters
    BITS Pilani

No, according to that rule the rear frame tubes (the ones surrounding your intake system components) must be the same minimum outside diameter and wall thickness as is specified for the side impact members (1" x 0.065" I believe.)

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast