+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake Line Pressures

Brake Line Pressures

I've been working on calculating line pressures the last couple weeks. I've been going off of http://www.stoptech.com/docs/media-c...raking-systems for my calculations. For the front circuit, I am getting about 250 psi. This seems low to me and I want to get other opinions since I have redone the calculations several times and cannot find any mistakes. I am assuming 1.5 g max decel. Thank you for any input.

Why do you think it seems low?
    The system pressure can be anything if it stops the car at the rate of deceleration you targeted.
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

If you're wondering whether the pressure is usually in much higher order (say 1000's of psi instead of 100's), the number is in the right ball park (I'm pretty sure most fsae cars will have the brake line pressure between 1 and 999 psi).
    Without knowing the weight, wheelbase, cg location, caliper piston size, number of pistons, rotor size (effective), tire radius, tire mu (for the given Fz) and pad mu (at the operating temperature!) no one can tell you if the number sounds right or not.
    Last edited by onemaniac; 10-09-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Sheridan Motorsports troll (2012-2014)
    Cubicle troll (2015 - God knows when)

How did you determine the friction in the system?
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

That sounds pretty low, but as everyone else said, that's pretty subjective. Maybe post your calcs on here.
    Rory Hourihan
    Chief Design Engineer - Mizzou Racing

since we don't know any thing about your calculations we won't be able to help you.
    post your car specs.
    post your system data.

+ Reply to Thread