+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Electric Motors

Looking for Electric Motors

Hi everyone !

Hope you have had a good season! I imagine you have started with your new car design.

My name is Víctor Angulo and some friends and I are planning to design a 2-motor powertrain with reduction gearbox( it is not for 2015 ).
    Our first step is to find 2 electric motor and it is here where I need your help.
    The characteristics have to be:

- Peak power: 35-45
    - Nominal power: 20-30
    - Peak Torque: 25-30 Nm
    - Rpm: >10.000
    - Weight: as low as possible XD

We have some options but I really appreciate if you know some brands or website where we can find what we need.

Thank you very much for your attention and good luck for this year !

Hi trip

Before we designed the electric motors ourself (2011 car was the first electric car for us with own motors), we had used the Agni 95 R with Kelly controllers. The Agni is a brushed DC motor in axial flux configuration with (forced) air cooling.
    The motors were used with a reduction chain drive.

Maybe you need to specify further what motors you are looking at. There are so many types of electric motors (induction motor, synchronous motor, switched reluctance, etc.) and I would say that not all are suitable for FSAE cars.
    A good start for you would probably be to look in the handbooks of the previous competitions. Usually you find there plenty information of the car specs (also what motors they used).

Cheers,
    Yannick
    ---
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2011 Chassis / Electric Motor
    2012 Electric Motor
    2013 Electric Motor

2014 FSA E-Scrutineer & Engineering Design Judge
    2015 FSG E-Scrutineer

Hey Trip,

For our Hybrid car we used the Agni 95 (two of them) linked with a Kelly controllers and another controller to link everything (Electric and ICE) together. We have all our old packs and Motors that we are deciding what to do with. Probably sell off so if you looking for something give me a PM. I would say if you are building a PURE electric vehicle you are going to have to look into your power usage and specifications heavily.

They worked well for our Hybrid car tied into the ICE engine we had. Under load by themselves were decent with the single ratio reduction we choose but there was a lot to be desired.

Is this for Formula Student or just a personal project?
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FS Ravens Racing - Powertrain Dev. 2014
    CU FS Ravens Racing - Team Lead/Tooling 2013/2014
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead 2011/2012

+ Reply to Thread