+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Rules Reduction Recommendations

Bemo,

I think we all agree that the new FSE rules are a step in the right direction, however there's still room for improvement. I really like it when I see structured, sound criticism but no whining. My only "issue" was the fact that overseas teams would have to design around two very different rulesets. Now this has been mostly resolved in the latest revision, yet it caused some frustration from being so drastically different it can be considered a new ruleset rather a revision.

Hope to see more from FSG/FSE in the future, as well as from FSAE working with you to harmonize everything.

T2.9.4 In side view any portion lower than the upper attachment point to the side impact structure must be inclined either forward or not more than 10° rearward.
    Is a re-wording of:
    T3.11.6 In the side view of the vehicle, the portion of the Main Roll Hoop that lies below the upper side
    impact member attachment point may be inclined at any angle to the vertical in the forward direction
    but, it must be inclined rearward no more than ten degrees (10°) of the vertical.
    However, it is still ambiguous. Inclined forward FROM WHERE?!
    Inclined rearward, as used for the upper portion of the main hoop, suggests tilting backwards about the lowest attachment point.
    But if you talk about inclined without specifying where this inclination "starts" you could tart from the top of the tube, or the bottom. In which case your angle is measured in opposite directions!!

Could do with clearing this up.
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

I found this in the 1986 rulebook, to me it's neat and something worth revisiting.

The car must be equipped with a muffler in the exhaust system to reduce the noise to an acceptable level. The noise level will be measured with a sound level meter as the car accelerates at full power along a straight line for a distance of 100 feet or more. The measurement will be made at the mid point of the run at a distance of 20 feet from the car at 3 feet above the ground. The sound level must not exceed 105 dB on the A weighting band at any time during the test.

Quote Originally Posted by tromoly View Post
    I found this in the 1986 rulebook, to me it's neat and something worth revisiting.
    Currently the brake test happens after the noise test. It could be dangerous to run full power in a straight without testing the brakes first.

Why not do both at the same time? Also per the 1986 rulebook under "Judging of the Inspection" in "Competition Events":

Upon completion of the static inspection, the car must at some time report to the muffler and brake test area. The car will be accelerated at maximum power and the sound level will be measured by the specifications given in the rules. At the end of the sound test, the driver must demonstrate the car has adequate brakes.
    In general reading old rulebooks is quite enjoyable, check out the 1986 rulebook at http://www.fsaeonline.com/content/19...AE%20rules.pdf, and if you desire to read a bunch of other old rulebooks several are available at http://www.fsaeonline.com/page.aspx?...f-1aa42ba38b95.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8