Thread: Proposed delay for 2015 rules to 2016

Threaded View

Charles,

Not to try and be too much of a smart-arse but maybe using Detroit product development processes wouldn't be the best idea

For the Australian teams the rules release date allows them only 3 months before the first comp the car will be run in. Oz teams use their 2014 car for 2015. this is true for other travelling teams as well. As far as I am aware most of the European teams do the same to compete in the US.

For most of the history of FSAE travelling teams wasn't an issue, and the rules release date probably had no problems. For Australian teams they get about 15 months between the rules release and the local comp. FSAE programs in Unis were smaller (which meant less students engaged) and often not well integrated into coursework. Add to that the rules were quite static for a large period of time. I remember speaking to people on the rules committee who were frustrated because the rules were difficult to change.

Now with a large international focus, larger teams, better integrated programs (all of which improve the outcomes) and rapidly changing rules there may be a basis to change this practice.

I agree that Ann Arbor did a good job of development. It wasn't a "mockery", just good engineering design. FSAE is full of innovative and hard working people. Throw enough of them at a problem and you end up with unintended consequences of the rules. This is one of my main issues with ensuring there is time to get feedback from teams on the implications of the rule changes.

I will remind everyone of this thread:

http://www.fsae.com/forums/showthrea...for-2011-Rules

At the start of the era of big aero there were quite a few people saying "treat this seriously" and "everyone will be doing it". This was met with comments about loss of points in cost, fuel, accel etc. In the end I'm not sure we ended up with what the rules committee had fully intended when they made the first big aero change. Just as now there will be implications to the rule changes that are not fully appreciated, and there is no time to discuss and revise them if there are big loopholes.

Not to side track this post, but I actually agree with limiting the performance of aero, and the EVs. I just think for such a major change it was far too late before teams were informed of what sort of changes would be made.

Regards,

Dr Kevin Hayward

Faculty Advisor
    Edith Cowan University (2008-present)
    Team member at UWA Motorsport (2001-2005)
    Last edited by Kevin Hayward; 08-19-2014 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added emoticon to try and stop flaming