+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 2014 fsuk

Dunk,

I address some of your points above in the "2015 FSAE Rules" thread, page 3.

Please don't take it personally.

Z

The competition this year was really strong and I personally liked it very much. Not only the usual strong teams of Zurich, Karlsruhe, Munchen, Stuttgart, Monash, Oxford and others. Also a surprisingly great car from Trondheim (Revolve), building their 3rd car (and first electric car) with very impressive results. Also the organisation of the event itself was a lot better than previous editions.

The media team of us released 2 episodes of the Delft report, covering FSUK from our team's viewpoint.
    episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwRybh4jsY
    episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvvjntJwxc

We lucked out a lot in winning the competition, so for us there's still a lot of hard work to do. I'm looking forward to FSG a lot because there will be an even stronger field of cars and teams, so it promises to be a great competition.

See you all in Germany
    Daniel Muusers
    Formula Student Team Delft
    2010-2015

I'll second what Daniel said about organization; the weather did us a favor and kept dry mosto of the time (except our endurance running group of course! :P). We are pleased with the 15th overall/ 5th in electric class, happy for being the first e-team through tech and extremely happy to finish endurance with no trouble whatsoever! Some impressions on the following video, as well as on our FB page!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY2kAbdu6_o&sns=fb

Kevin,

I have seen some pics of your (ECU) car now on various sites, and I like it!

(I already have a long list of things I would change... but please keep going in that direction!)

On another thread you mentioned that at FSUK you had,
    "... teething problems ... that dogged the team the whole way through ..."

Can you share what those problems were?

Z

Z,

I'm not sure it is my place to share the problems, but I will anyway. The team didn't feel that it wanted to come across as making excuses for our performance. We take a view it is not about what you say you could have done, but what you did that is important. They may post something more detailed on facebook.

We had a very minor issue (and very easy to fix) that caused bent valves. The guys didn't pick it up until the UK, after we had freshened the engine ready for comp in Perth. The engine failed twice pre-comp, requiring two full rebuilds in less than 72 hours. Unfortunately the problem was misdiagnosed the first time. We had been running very well in Perth, most likely due to good fortune that we would have had just enough clearance with the head we were using. Killed any chance of testing in the UK, and the team had a very rough time of it. Unfortunately the first failure damaged cylinder 3, which ran low compression the whole event. Extreme tiredness caused a couple of extra slip-ups, but nothing that kept the team from running, but did cost speed.

The team is not too disappointed that we weren't a bit further up. We see the car as the start of a new era for us, and we are stoked that it got though everything first time out. We have a long list of changes, some of which is already well on the way. If you pm me your list I will take it to the guys. They have a pretty good idea of where they are heading, but appreciate running through different possibilities. We probably have a longer time schedule for implementation than you would approve of though

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hayward View Post
    We see the car as the start of a new era for us, ...
    Kev,

My main suggestion would be to keep doing what you are doing. My list would include a lot of things that could possibly only be done on the next car anyway (eg. tilt cylinders backward so you can push driver a bit further back, etc.).

Will you be at FSAE-Oz-14? I would love to have a closer look at the car and then go through all the "Hmmm, I reckon better would be more like this...".

But it is definitely a good direction you are going in. Given ECU's and UWA's recent cars, I wonder what they put in that WA water?!

Z

Dunk, any chance that you upload and share those "naked" pics from FSUK you talked about?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk Mckay View Post
    Not a bad weekend, although the rain yesterday was a little unpleasant. Sad news is that my camera battery decided it didn't want to be a battery any more and wanted to be a brick instead. So only got a few photos, not the dozens and dozens as I had promised, my apologies.
    When I said a few, what I meant was basically none. Took a few of my old uni's car on arrival and then my camera died. Sorry about that. I think Herts have got a reasonably sized album on their faecbook page, not so much internals though I don't think.
    Dunk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Brunel Racing
    2010-11 - Drivetrain Development Engineer
    2011-12 - Consultant and Long Distance Dogsbody
    2012-13 - Chassis, Bodywork & Aerodynamics manager

2014-present - Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Ooopsie! I had much less time this year to look around, but still I have some pictures taken, I will sort them out and upload them when I find the time to do so!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5