+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Hoosiers showing chords - Looking for input

Young Hoosiers showing chords - Looking for input

We bought a new set of Hoosiers back in January, started driving our car late April and it currently has around 15 hours of run/drive time on the car.

The wear holes have plenty of life in them and appear to be fairly even. Three out of the four tires look like the one in the image after today's testing. I struggle to accept that it is something within our setup or driving habits to plague 3 new slicks so quickly...but we are also a very new team that hasn't had much experience with these tires either.

Did we get a bad batch of tires? We obviously have to order another set before Lincoln, but we would like to mitigate the problem if it is our end. I will email Hoosier on Monday, but I'd imagine they won't have much to say other than "a new set will be $XXX dollars".

Thank you-
    Last edited by Goody; 05-31-2014 at 10:40 PM.
    University of North Texas - FSAE '12-'13 [1st year for UNT], '13-'14

18 to 20 hours is a good long run for those tyres!

They are worn out. The dimples just show you how your going, not what you have got left in some cases.

Throw on a new set and you will pleasantly surprised all the handling gremlins you most likely have from running on the cording compound will go away.

Pete

How many miles / km did you cover in these 15 hours?

What are the wear numbers? In other words what was the depth of the holes when you got new tires and what is it now (with tires cleaned / no pick up) ?
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Hoosier offers a slightly slightly harder compound we run for a majority of testing that we get a little more life out of than the 25B's.

How much track time did you expect from a racing slick that only weighs just over 2kg?
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

Now: Scruitineer, Design Judge, application engineer @Altair engineering

Whatever you do, do it hard!

Luniz, that was going to be my next question to Goody.....

Goody, it would be nice if you would answer
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Sorry for the delay in response.

We honestly didn't know what to expect out of the tires, we are glad to have the testing time to be able to run through a set before our second competition. We have very limited experience with these types of tires and FSAE testing and were just looking for some opinions.

Thank you -

Goody,

Please answer these 2 simple questions questions.

1. Did you or did you not measure the depth of the tire holes new and old? Did you do it every day?

2. What mileage did you do? I ask this question because I see teams who tell me that they spend 20 hours (or 20 days) of testing but only 10 % of the time was effectively spent on the track.

There is nothing wrong (other that being ashamed ) by telling us that you did not made such measurements if you learn from this lack of discipline of logging testing information and put these measurements more systematically on your next test to do list.

For me your tires are simply worn out and if you EFFECTIVELY ran the time that you declared, but it will help me to confirm my opinion if I know the real mileage.

Race tire wear are different from one tire / car / asphalt roughness / driver / track temperature to another but changing race tire every 100 miles (160 Km) is in the norm. I would find perfectly normal to see a FSAE team using 6 or 7 sets of tire in testing before the competition. I also have learnt the painful way that trying to setup a car with tires which barely had more grip than my bathroom soap was a real waste of time. And lost of driver confidence too. But that was with professional drivers.

Thanks

Claude

Claude,

We do not have depth measurements from when the tires were new, nor do we have a means to log vehicle mileage easily. However, we will be taking measurements and logging more appropriate information for the new set of tires that we are now waiting on.

I couldn't imagine going through 6 or 7 sets of tires for testing, our team would have been broke a long time ago at that rate!

Thank you for the input.

Goody,

"I couldn't imagine going through 6 or 7 sets of tires for testing, our team would have been broke a long time ago at that rate!" I know this is provocative but this is the truth: find the money! It is there! As far as I remember the US is still part of the G7 , no?

..."nor do we have a means to log vehicle mileage easily"Oh come on: track length multiplied by number of laps? Is that difficult?

See you in Lincoln? With you mileage record notebook?

Claude

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast