+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A new quantitative metric to evaluate and rank "Endurance Driver Team" Performance

A new quantitative metric to evaluate and rank "Endurance Driver Team" Performance

Hi all,

I was just looking through the endurance lap time results from the recent Michigan Comp.

Very interesting data, thank you to the organisers for providing it in its entirety.
    Excel format would have been nice, but it didn't take too long to get everything from the PDF into excel to be able to run some numbers.

Like most engineers with big and interesting data sets I started playing around, taking averages and doing comparisons etc.

One idea that I have been thinking about lately is to develop a quantitative metric to assess or rank "Driver Team Performance" for the endurance event.
    The big challenge is trying to make this metric independent of the vehicle performance.
    Something like this would also help teams focus on, and track the development of driver team "depth" (or consistency), realising that the endurance event is scored on the lap times generated by both drivers and not just your best one.
    It would also highlight the teams with lower performance car, but excellent driver training and preparation, and those with better cars but have room to improve on the driving front.

For the moment, I would like to put aside the issue of the importance of drivers in FSAE, and whether that is a good thing or not.
    I hope everyone accepts that drivers (drawn from your own team) are a simple fact of life in this competition.
    Given this reality I think we can all accept that it is obvious for teams to try and maximise their performance, as you would any highly sensitive variable in any other engineering problem.
    I have always felt that well trained and experienced drivers highlight the quality of the cars we produce and show them in their best light.
    There is nothing worse than seeing a high performance car driven badly.
    And I think we all know that the best driver in the world will never take a car from the back of the pack to the front.
    The days of bringing in "ringer" drivers from other formulas and dropping them in a FSAE car and expecting them to blow everyone away (in an otherwise average car) are well and truly past.

So back to my question... how could you quantitatively generate a measure or ranking of Enduro Driver Team Performance that is independent of Car Performance?

1: What data would you need?

Individual Endurance Lap times, Cones Hit, and Off Courses (both as a total per car, not per driver). Given that Fuel is not measured for individual drivers I wouldn't use the Fuel Numbers at all.

2: What data would I exclude?

I would only use data from teams that successfully complete the endurance event. Non-finishers with low lap counts can skew the data set quite a bit so I would keep them out.

How would I use this data to compare or rank the Driver Teams?

This is the interesting bit and I am interested in your feedback and thoughts.

My current idea is to:
    1: Develop a number of different metrics to measure driver performance and consistency
    2: Rank all finishing teams on each of these metrics
    3: Add up the numerical rankings for each team
    4: Re-rank all teams based on the sum of these categories (lowest being the best, highest the worst)

You could also non-dimensionalise each category, and/or have different scalings for each depending on perceived importance of the different metrics but I thought I would keep it pretty simple to start with.

My ideas for the different metrics are:

A: Total Penalties
    So the sum of each team's total penalty seconds from Cones DOO and Off-Courses. That a pretty obvious one. Good drivers don't hit cones or run off course. This metric should be very independent or car performance. Even with bad ergo or fatigue setting in a good drivers should drive within their limits and that of the car and not hit cones or run off course. I have not included Other Penalties listed as I wasn't sure what they were (Driver change too long?).

B: Coefficient of Variation of All Lap Times
    This is Standard Deviation divided by the Mean and reads as a percent. The most consistent teams get down as low as 2% which is impressive. As much as 20-30% at the other end of the spectrum.

C: Difference Between the Average lap times for each Driver
    The assumption we make here is that if both your drivers return the same or very similar average lap times, then they are both driving to the limits of the car.
    If these average times are different you have one good driver and one not quite so good.
    Yes, it is possible to have two drivers that are equally bad (or average) but those teams will rate poorly elsewhere.

I played around with some other options (ie Difference First to Fastest Lap) but didn't think the data that came out added any more clarity or insight.

So once I had rankings for each team on these metrics I added the numerical rankings together (this assumes equal weight or importance between all metrics which is debatable), and then re-ranked them.

The final ordered list might be useful in providing some insight into the best prepared and performing driver teams and those that could gain a lot of points from further driver development.

It is also interesting to see where the biggest deltas are between Enduro event placings and the Driver Team Performance Rankings.
    There are some teams that significantly outperformed and some that under performed according to the data.
    Not having been at the event I will leave it to others and these teams to comment and decide if these indicators point to any truths, or are totally spurious!

Obviously there are a huge number of factors which will influence these rankings so take them all with a big grain of salt (weather, lap traffic, breakdowns etc).

Interested in you suggestions on how this analysis might be improved through the addition, subtraction or modification of the metrics I have proposed.

You can download my Excel results from the Monash Motorsport Alumni Facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1525.../?notif_t=like

Summary results from the recent Michagan comp should be viewable in the image attached.

Apologies if there are any mistakes in there.

Interested in everyone's thoughts

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Monash; 05-21-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Why cant i get a bigger image?

Anyway, the summary results image is posted bigger on that FB link

Scott,

That looks really good. One of the metrics I have liked to use in the past is number of laps to reach the average lap time. Good drive squads usually gain a lot of time in the first few laps of a stint. Usually with poorly trained teams the driver either gets progressively faster as time goes on, or they go faster until the driver gets tired. The standard deviation and average catch some of that data, so it may be redundant. A similar number can be seen in lap 1 vs lap 2 in autocross.

Maybe a measure of how much time above average for first 3 laps (each driver).

For a fitness measure you may want to look at how much time above average for final 3 laps (each driver).

Kev

You might want to take the weather into account. It might influence the results more than the driver skill can (e.g. warmer track, rubber on the tarmac).

Personally I think it is very difficult to compare the values but if you want to you can use multidimensional scaling ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multidimensional_scaling ) to get a quantitative comparison between numbers (and the number of vectors you have: times, oc, cones, weather, car, etc). But any attempt is better than none!

If you have the option: Test the car + drivers inside on a clean track.
    Tristan
    Delft '09 Team member, '10 - Chief Electronics
    'now' (Hardware) Security Engineer

For sorting out your own drivers obviously you can use logged data, particularly brake pressure and throttle position vs. steering traces. Very quickly shows where some drivers are lacking, and should correlate nicely to lap time data.
    Jay

UoW FSAE '07-'09

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lawrence View Post
    For sorting out your own drivers obviously you can use logged data, particularly brake pressure and throttle position vs. steering traces. Very quickly shows where some drivers are lacking, and should correlate nicely to lap time data.
    Don't forget lateral and longitudinal G's, RPM (can use to determine the gear), and wheel speeds.
    University of Florida - Gator Motorsports
    Project Manager (2012 - 2013)
    Electrical System Leader (2010 - 2015)
    Powertrain/Engine Tuner (2011 - 2015)

Scott, anyway you could do this for FSAE Lincoln?
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

Felt myself free to adjust the one Scott made to the Lincoln 2014 competition, results are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgdm15zezi...ance%20v1.xlsx
    Delft University of Technology (FS Team Delft)
    '11-'12: Chassis engineer
    '12-'13: Chief Chassis
    '13-'14: Chassis engineer

Nice work JurrienK thanks for doing that.

The top ten ranked enduro Driving Teams were:

1 California State Poly Univ - Pomona
    2 Univ of Kansas - Lawrence
    3 Univ of Calif - Berkeley
    4 Oakland University
    5 Michigan State Univ
    6 Univ of New Mexico
    7 Univ of Waterloo
    8 Univ of Wisconsin - Platteville
    9 San Jose State University
    10 Univ of Wisconsin - Madison

Some interesting results from this comp.
    Some very good clean driving on display, with 11 teams recording clean run with no penalties.
    The ranking score for this metric doesn't work very well when there are heaps of teams clustered on zero penalties as in this comp.

The data shows that the winning enduro team from Texas A&M had 5 seconds average difference between drivers. This may have been car or tyre related, but if not shows they could have gapped the rest of the field even more if the difference was just driver.

The following teams had driver ratings that were significantly higher than their event finish positions:

Oakland University
    California State Univ - Sacramento
    Clemson Univ
    Univ of Wisconsin - Platteville
    Univ of North Texas
    Univ of Waterloo

And these teams had driver ratings significantly lower than their event finish positions:

Texas A & M Univ - College Station
    Univ of Michigan - Ann Arbor
    Univ of Toledo
    Kettering Univ

Ann Arbor and Kettering had big differences between driver 1 and 2 which look like they were related to car issues in the last few laps.
    Last edited by Scott Monash; 07-06-2014 at 09:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread