+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2014 Cost Report

Cool 2014 Cost Report

Hey everyone. All right so I've been trying to find an answer to my simple question hunt through the forums, but I can't. It's probably a very simple answer but:

What is the purpose of the Item Order and way does it increase in 10's? All I can see is count the each operation and such, but I just want to make sure it isn't referencing to the table cell numbers of each Process.

Thanks. ( Sorry if this is really simple =( )
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FS Ravens Racing - Powertrain Dev. 2014
    CU FS Ravens Racing - Team Lead/Tooling 2013/2014
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013
    CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead 2011/2012

Hey Simactive,

From what i understand, this is standard practice in engineering when writing tasks and processes. The reason they go up by 10 is so you can add/describe another process between the two. So say later i want to add sub-step i can put a 15 and not have to renumber the whole thing.

One way i can see it being useful in the cost report is if you were to make an addendum you could insert a number without modifying the original numbering. This would make it easier to see the difference.

I hope this answers your question.

If someone has a better explanation for this, please feel free to let us know.
    Daniel
    Formula SAE
    Montreal Polytechnique 2009-present
    Cost guy 2011-present
    Rules guy 2012-present
    Secretary 2013-present
    Assistant Director 2014-2015

Hey Daniel,

Thanks, that is what I am seeing the more I go through the cost report. I've been working on it for a while and it takes a long time.

Cheers!
    My views, thoughts and wording do not reflect those of Carleton University in any way, shape or form.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." - Vince Lombardi

CU FSAE Ravens Racing (Volunteer Team) - Team Lead/Structures/Manufacturing 2012/2013

Can confirm, this is standard in real world manufacturing. All operations increment in 10s as you move from one type of operation to the next.

Example to make a diff housing:

Op10: Rough turning (OD)
    Op20: Rough face turning
    Op30: Finish turning (OD)
    Op40: Rough boring (ID)
    OP50: Finish boring (ID)
    Op60: B-axis drilling holes
    Op70: Power tap holes
    OP80: Tumble part
    Op90: Color Anodize (red)
    Op100: Install studs

And that's all there is to it.

Mcoach: OooOOOOoOo Fancy times. Good to know this skill will come in handy somewhere. Lets hope I'll get a job where I can use all my knowledge!

Thanks for the example it helped!

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how it is with Add Item Requests? Old e-mail adress for this does not work, standard procedure requires our team on the list on http://fsaeonline.com/CreateAccount.aspx during registration CdsWeb account, while our team is a second-year-one. Could anyone help? Shall we send AIRs to all competitions separately?

Thanks
    Maciej Sidorowicz

+ Reply to Thread