+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using car springs.

Smile Using car springs.

Hey,

First post here. I'm a student designing suspension for a university race team in Edinburgh.
    It's also our teams first year and we are still learning what to do. Is there anything else I need to say in the intro?

Most teams use a pushrod system with a downhill bike dampener.

We were looking at this design because it was cheap, but now we have found cheap car suspension on this website.
    http://www.avouk.com/MotorsportFrameset-84.htm

Do you think that by using car springs directly from the unsprung hub to the chassis we would be able to do this? I have no idea about normal forces experienced in FSAE so was asking for your advice. Our car will probably be around 300kg, we are literally just trying to get it to complete endurance and that would be it.

I would guess a single car suspension rod on the wheels would be too stiff?

Would car suspension work just like a long version of the downhill bike suspension, or do we need a duel spring-dampener system (I guess that would be too complicated)

Link if previous one doesn't work.
    Trackday - GTX kits - Ford Fiesta

Thanks

The car will have suspension...

I'm not going to design your car for you. You should draw some diagrams and see what it looks like. Remember F=KX and how to use the trig functions on your calculator.

Quote Originally Posted by I_dont_know_what_im_doing View Post
    I have no idea about normal forces experienced in FSAE...
    Why on earth not?

An FBD of the hub will give you all the forces you need...

Fbd

OP HERE

I'm away until Monday so will come back to calculations then, but I was also wondering about anti-roll bars. With direct suspension I guess it would require more work to put one in, almost cancelling out the point of direct suspension?

What kind of forces do you get with lighter cars. With a 300kg you get 2943N straight down so I would guess three or four times that amount going through the suspension when cornering.
    Speed of say 40mph? Radius corner of like 1.5 metres?
    6000-7000N?

Does that sound right?

Do you think car suspension is suitable for that or too stiff?

I'm not just worried about forces involved, I'm also worried about connection points.
    So few teams use direct shock suspension and I can't figure out why. Thats why I'm really asking. I'm going to email the company to find about what forces the dampeners are designed for.
    Last edited by I_dont_know_what_im_doing; 02-21-2014 at 07:51 AM.

So few teams use direct shock suspension and I can't figure out why.
    Z will tell you that is because they are "all stupid monkeys copying each other, monkey-see monkey-do" and fact is that he is not that wrong... Now why would an ARB be harder to implement in a direct acting suspension? Do you really need ARB's?

Quote Originally Posted by mech5496 View Post
    Z will tell you that is because they are "all stupid monkeys copying each other, monkey-see monkey-do" and fact is that he is not that wrong... Now why would an ARB be harder to implement in a direct acting suspension? Do you really need ARB's?
    I would venture that he (Z) is right. And as someone who has designed a suspension using direct acting dampers, it is a bit more challenging to implement an ARB. Really, you're just trading what components you spend time designing, a rocker or the arb. That said, I really agree with your last question. We had one designed but not machined in time for our first test last year (it was a bending element, rather than the typical torsion element type bar, so the machining had to be pretty precise) and the car ran well enough without it that we stopped development.

-Matt
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

Op here

I emailed the car suspension company and he asked for general spring rates and damping forces.

Roughly what are your values from last year.

If we can get car suspension dampeners in that kind of range then we'll probably go down that route instead of push-rod.

What kind of forces do you get with lighter cars. With a 300kg you get 2943N straight down so I would guess three or four times that amount going through the suspension when cornering.
    Speed of say 40mph? Radius corner of like 1.5 metres?
    6000-7000N?

Does that sound right?

Do you think car suspension is suitable for that or too stiff?
    First things first. You're not ready to design a suspension or select parts yet because you don't know what you want/need it to do. Granted, learning is an iterative process--the more you know the more you can know--but you're at the very beginning of your understanding. I think you need to do some reading on wheel loads, load transfer and basic suspension calculations before thinking too much about parts or throwing numbers around. (I'll suggest Milliken's "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" as one possible resource.) Once you have a "back of the envelope calculation" level of understanding you will be able to learn even more and *then* start thinking about your vehicle design in numerical terms.

When you get to that point you can evaluate your guesses above with "engineering eyes", and decide how much sense they make. Others here may give you more direct feedback, but my message is this: While you need to start somewhere when learning this stuff please don't try to "design" anything without being able to analyze it, or without understanding the goals/needs of your design.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

OP

That book is £66 and will take weeks to arrive, quite a lot if I am still at such basic levels. Cant you give me general damping and spring values for a 280kg car so I don't waste time looking at direct suspension only to find I will have to have the springs custom made or something.

I'm not going to use the values in the calculations, I just need them for when I'm on the phone to the car suspension company. They just need to be general.

I'll ask the team captain about buying the book on Monday if we can get it delivered sooner than a week.

I emailed the car suspension company and he asked for general spring rates and damping forces.

Roughly what are your values from last year.

If we can get car suspension dampeners in that kind of range then we'll probably go down that route instead of push-rod.
    What worked for my car will not work for your car, so even if I gave you my numbers, they will not be particularly helpful to your cause.

That book is £66 and will take weeks to arrive, quite a lot if I am still at such basic levels. Cant you give me general damping and spring values for a 280kg car so I don't waste time looking at direct suspension only to find I will have to have the springs custom made or something.

I'm not going to use the values in the calculations, I just need them for when I'm on the phone to the car suspension company. They just need to be general.

I'll ask the team captain about buying the book on Monday if we can get it delivered sooner than a week.
    Dr. Kasprzak is correct. You need to understand what you are trying to achieve before you set out choosing parts (or even suppliers for that matter). If you don't know what you are trying to achieve, at best you will end up with a collection of parts for a car, and it will perform no better than the worst of the parts. This is most likely not what you're looking for.

If you spend 10 minutes on Google, you can probably find a thread from an autocross forum/website (or full size car forum, think about performance oriented vehicles that have a strong track presence) that can give you the formulas to get a rough idea of what spring rates you want. If I remember right, there is even a nice free Excel sheet that will calculate a lot of the important vehicle dynamics values for you. Whether or not those outputs are useful to you will depend on the quality of information you put into the spreadsheet. There are also several good threads on this forum that reference suspension design. All you have to do is look. It only takes time, and you can probably have it done before you're able to talk to your team leader on Monday (although I would suggest still buying that book).

-Matt
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast